Can't boot - shell32.dll missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I've just done a system restore on XP-SP2. The system won't come back up . I get popups telling me the system is unable to locate the following components, winlogon.exe, services.exe, savedump.exe and isass.exe. Beneath each component name the following message appears
' The application has failed to start because shell32.dll was not found. reinstalling the application may fix this problem'.

After all four messages there is a popup window saying
' User interface DLL msgina.dll failed to load. Contact your system administrator to replace the DLL or restore the original DLL'.

The same thing happens when starting in safe mode.

My computer (Compaq) is five years old and I don't have the original OS disks (I don't think I ever did have them) so can't try booting from CD.

I've also tried pressing F8 when the first screen appears and selected 'Return to OS choices' to see if the Windows recovery console appears but it doesn't.

I'd be very grateful for any advice.

well you need the disks because windows is corrupted or your harddrive might be corrupted the first thing to try would be to reinstall windows

shell32.dll missing

I have the same problem with booting upon reinstalling microsoft windows, but I do have the recovery disc from microsoft, any sugguestions on what to do next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back