Cant browse web pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJay420

My sisters hp notebook has been unable to connect to the internet for a few days now. She said she hasnt added any software or made any major changes but she doesnt really know as much as I do when it comes to the softwares I put on her computer for protection such as Spybot and the Comodo Firewall. She told me she has denied request from both applications but Im not sure thats the problem because I uninstalled both and still cannot get a web page to open. I thought it could be the cheap USB Network adapter she was using because it was very flimsy and had broke open a while ago (its now held together by clear masking tape lol) but I installed the drivers for a linksys adapter (WPC11 ver4) she had and used it and I still cant get any results. I can even get a connection to our wireless network sometimes but I still cant view any pages when I open Internet Explorer. Can anybody let me know if this is a hardware, software, malware issue because this is the most trouble Ive ever had with a pc.

When connected to the router,

Click start > Run and type CMD

in the CMD prompt window type ipconfig

What ip is the router giving you?

Also trying pinging websites in command prompt by typing

ping www.google.com

And see if it returns any results

Also try a trace route to a website. This shows you where the connection goes before actually reaching its destination. This can be done by typing the following in cmd prompt

tracert www.google.com

This will then echo back all the "hops" it takes. Take a screenshot or paste your results here.

Regards,

Just to isolate the issue (which I believe to be your Comodo firewall),
disable it and enable the default Windows version (for a test).

quit the browser and restart it -- access a few sites.

if this works, then you have two choices
  1. forget Comodo and use the Windows Firewall (not recommended!)
  2. properly configure Comodo

Comodo has Four major areas of configuration:
  1. Application Monitor
  2. Component Monitor
  3. Network Monitor
  4. Application Analysis

Personally, I turn off (2) -- drove me nuts with wll the prompts!
The (3) is important as this is what gives better control than the Windows FW.
It allows control for not only inbound but also outbound traffic.
(1) is a refinement for (3). Network Monitor controls the access to sites and ports,
while (1) controls which applications on your system are allowed to make that access!
If you're concerned about Identity Theft, this this will assure you that YOU are
creating email to some server and not some worm or trojan that has invaded your system.

If you need assistance in getting Comodo configured -- just ask :)

if if that does not help start with a good nic I would not use one thats broken open
I mean come on theres no connection
you know how to ping ??
do the ipconfig /flushdns from cmd

Some more help...

JustJay420 said:
My sisters hp notebook has been unable to connect to the internet for a few days now. She said she hasnt added any software or made any major changes but she doesnt really know as much as I do when it comes to the softwares I put on her computer for protection such as Spybot and the Comodo Firewall. She told me she has denied request from both applications but Im not sure thats the problem because I uninstalled both and still cannot get a web page to open. I thought it could be the cheap USB Network adapter she was using because it was very flimsy and had broke open a while ago (its now held together by clear masking tape lol) but I installed the drivers for a linksys adapter (WPC11 ver4) she had and used it and I still cant get any results. I can even get a connection to our wireless network sometimes but I still cant view any pages when I open Internet Explorer. Can anybody let me know if this is a hardware, software, malware issue because this is the most trouble Ive ever had with a pc.

I would recommend using PC Tools Firewall Plus its for free and there is a free registration they will give you the license key by email. I've been using this software firewall to me is better than Comodo Firewall which I had nothing of problems bocked the internet and etc..

www.snapfiles.com/freeware/

PC Tools Firewall Plus (freeware)
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/pctoolsfirewall.html

Spyware Protection Ondemand Scanner and remove (freeware)
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/spywareterminator.html

AntiVirus (freeware)
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/avast.html

Besides the network repair tool you need to right click on the network device.

Click on properties
Click on TCP/IP
Click on the Advanced button
Scroll down to the metric and make sure your router IP address is listed there.
If not? Then add it to that list.

Now click on WINS Tab
Scroll down to and make sure you see NetBIOS Over TCP/IP Enabled.
Click okay and apply.
Before we go...

Click on start
click on run
type: cmd

type: ipconfig /flushdns
check and see if you get any sort of error?
If so type: REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache /V Start /T REG_DWORD /F /D 2
Wait for the PC to say OKay
Reboot the PC
Got to line: 2

If no error when you do ipconfig /flushdns
continue here

type: ipconfig /registerdns
type: nbtstat -r
type: netsh interface ip delete arpcache
Reboot PC

Line: 2
type: ipconfig /flushdns
type: ipconfig /registerdns