Can't connect 2 computers to Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norak

Hey, I was wondering if any of you guys would be able to help me. I'm having a bit of trouble with either my modem or my computer, I don't know which.

My Problem: I can't connect two computers to my internet (broadband).

Specs:
Modem: D-Link DSL-302G
ISP: Optus
Computer 1:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
512 mb RAM
Windows XP Pro
120 gb HDD
On-Board 10/100 mb Ethernet port
Radeon 9550 256mb Graphics Card
Computer 2:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
512 mb RAM
Windows XP Pro
80 gb HDD
On-Board 100/1000 mb ethernet port
On-board graphics card

"Can't connect" means what? The plugs don't fit? :p

What exactly do you want to do?

By the looks of it, you should be attempting to connect the modem to one of the computers via USB and then use Windows ICS and a crossover cable to hook up the second.

If you had other ideas, then you either didn't tell us about something or it just plain can't work.

we have a d-link dsl router too, quite possibly the hardest thing i have ever had to set up, and we still get problems where it randomly stops working.
anyway, back to the point.
make sure that the router (i'm assuing it's a router) is set up for your internet connection and says that it is connected in the status page
if it's not a router then it'll probably be quite similar but i don't know :p
yeah, so make sure that it is set up properly and i hope that helps :knock:

I am only using a modem that has two ports - One USB and one Ethernet. I have connected one computer using the ethernet, and one using the USB. When one computer is connected, the other can't access the internet. It is really annoying.

you can't use the other if you use the usb and visa versa
don't use the usb only work for 1 connection
here's how to start
use the rj45 jack connection to 1 machine get another nic card and run crossover cable to 2nd machine
so 1st machines has 2 nic's in it 2nd has 1 nic if the one has no nic gonna have to buy another for that one
they will both be able to surf at same time the config for doing this is not easy
if you are running home it's worse than pro.
the eayer way is get a router have it connect to the to via netowrk rj45's
remove the modem connection software and config the router with your isp's user info
get a nice little linksys or some such cheap as chips they are

foot note
I don't think ICS can use the usb as it make its own virtual nic and ICS need phisical nics to make a virtual one is that not right or is that for bridging

Well you don't really need all these complicated materials... I use D-Link DSL-302G as well... you can connect with USB and ethernet simultaneously and surfing internet on both computer... But, there is one thing you have to be aware of! The USB should be connected before the ethernet. If you do not follow that order it won't work.

humbug! Every user's guide I've seen for modems with both USB and Ethernet
explicitly say one or the other but not both!

the usual approach is either
Code:
modem---systemA---ICS---systemB
OR better
Code:
modem---router---systemsA+B on the lan side

the latter has the benefit of allowing either system to be powered off and the
other still has access, which is NOT true with ICS.

mmm that's sounds really weird to me... I can really use this modern to connect two computers to the internet using both Ethernet and USB. I even successfully created an intranet network using that....

Kevinant is correct, that modem should allow two computers to be used. They upgraded it to the 502g which is effectively the same modem. ICS is just for of a pain in the *** especially when the modem supports two pcs.

Hello, kevinant, and welcome to Techspot :wave:

Please take a look at the following threads to make your experience here as enjoyable as possible :)

Message for all newcomers

SNGX1275's Guide to making a good post/thread

The Techspot FAQ

If you could take a minute to fill in some of your profile information that would be helpful to all members of the forum :)
Knowing someone's location in the world can be extremely helpful, even if you just put a country.

Also remember to post any problems or questions that you have in the appropriate forums

It's good to see that everyone's helping out but this thread dates back to April '06 :blush:

Reading my original reply was a bit of a blast from the past :D

Chances are, if you have multiple allocated IPs, both connections would work on the modem, but if you have only 1 IP from your ISP, one or the other would work, because there would be a DHCP lease problem.

You can use a computer as a router, but the simplest ways are:

1) Buy a real hardware router
2) Get a second IP from your ISP and use a switch or let the modem behave as a switch.

technicalfury42 said:
Chances are, if you have multiple allocated IPs, both connections would work on the modem, but if you have only 1 IP from your ISP, one or the other would work, because there would be a DHCP lease problem.
Yes, this is exactly the issue. Usually we get a single IP address from the ISP
and attempting to connect two pcs via the modem creates an IP address conflict, hence the need for the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back