Can't connect to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

bolun

Hi,

Today, my internet stopped working, and a message came up in the bottom right of my screen saying
"This connection has limited or no connectivity. you might not be able to access the internet or some network resources."

I've tried resetting my router and modem. I've gone into cmd and done the release and renew thing. I've reinstalled my network thing. its the intel PRO/100 VE Network connection.

When I try to go into the windows firewall settings, it says :
"due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows
Firewall settings".

When I right click the connection thing and click on repair, it says:
"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following
action cannot be completed:
Renewing your ip address.
for assistance, contact the person who manages your network"

It still shows that same message and my internet is still not working.

I'm currently running Windows Xp, SP2 and this is the only account on the computer.

Can anyone help?

you tried repair and disable and re-enabling then restarting your pc, doesnt sound like too big of an issue, hope you figure it out

Assign your NIC static IP credentials within your LAN subnet (Control Panel - Network Connections - Right-click your NIC: Properties - TCP/IP: Properties).
Your DNS Server should be your gateway or router or whatever. Does this make a difference?

One thing you want to do is go to your network connections page and right click on your local area connection and go to properties. Uncheck the box that says notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity. That will get rid of the annoying little message. Do you have working spyware and anti-virus programs? Sometimes a virus can corrupt your winsock settings. A corrupted registry can do the same. That will mess up your connectivity. Go to this site and you will find a freeware program called WinSock XP Fix that does just that. Download and run the program and see if it helps. Good luck.

EDIT: Have you tried shutting down your firewall to see if you can get in. Not something you'd want to leave shut off, but just as a quick test. You might want to consider getting rid of the windows firewall and try a different one. Zone Alarm is free and has been very good for me.

I fought this just yesterday!

1) stop your normal firewall

2) enable just the default Windows version

3) move system to directly connect to the modem

4) reboot the modem

after it settles down,
run -> cmd /k ipconfig /all

your IP address *must not* begin with 169.... and should be a public
address, with a similary looking gateway address, and a mask like 255.255....

IF NOT, call your ISP / CABLE /DSL provider and have them RESET the device.

Once this runs properly again, you can get back to your LAN setup
and normal firewall preference

this might sound trivial but check your connections from all of your feeds, the cable, modem, router and computer.

luvhuffer, that winsock program fixed the problem, thanks.

But does that mean theres a virus on the computer then?

No like I said it could just be the settings or a registry entry got corrupted or damaged. But the fact that it could be a result of malware, means you should do a thorough scan to find out if you're clean.

i had the same problem twice.

the first one because the aztech router is a ****... and i changed to level 1

the 2nd one when taiwan had that big earthquake, but after that ok.

normally when there is limited or no connectivity with yellow triangle on it because of the router splitting management is screwed.
try to make a new connection.

one morething, the splitter should be placed in the main stream of the phone line. this is to ensure better quality otherwise, the broadband is screwed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back