Can't connect to the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm Tim and this is my first experience with TS after being turned on to it by a co-worker. I am having a problem with my son's computer and don't know what to do. I can't connect to the internet. His computer (an old Dell 8100) is connected thru a router. My laptop can connect fine as can my desktop and my wife's laptop. His just stopped yesterday. Everything else is fine. But no internet connectivity! I've done all I know (which isn't a lot) but to no avail. Could he have deleted something that causes him to connect? We have Mozzilla on his computer (also Netscape) and all was fine yesterday. Help! Our son is autistic and this computer is his place of sanity. Any ideas?

Thread moved to the correct forum.

Do you think the ethernet card has gone bad? Have you tried using a different port on the router, or a different cable?

Also, tell your co-worker thanks for spreading the word. I think you will find TechSpot very informative and friendly. Sit back and soak up some knowledge while you're here.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Would you please take a few moments to read the following. It will help to make your Techspot experience a more pleasurable one.

Techspot FAQ.

A message for all newcomers.

SNGX1275`s A guide to making a good post/thread.

Thanks.

thanks. i'll try the cable. i don't know enough about computers to check and/or change the ethernet card (his computer has no instructions or cd's for redoing everything.) it's a computer given to him a year or so ago and it came 'as is'.

No worries. We can help step you through it, and if you don't feel comfortable making the changes, you can take it to a shop. But before you do that, let's try and determine the exact problem.

i tried another cable, but no luck. i removed netscape and have been trying mozilla only. it says no internet connection so trying to check the ethernet card next may be my best bet. it will have to be tomorrow now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back