Can't detect USB Flash Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have some problem with my USB flash drive after installing a school program. Before that, my system is running well with the flash drive.
It seems my computer is not able to detect the device even though I had
un-installed the school program.
When I check at the device manager, it is an unknown device.
When I try to install the driver, I could not, stating, the flash drive could not be found. I am using Windows XP SP2 and Imation flash drive.
By right, I do not need to install the flash drive driver as it will be auto detected.

I tried using my flash drive on other computers, it is running ok.
Can anybody advise what I can do to resolve this?

Thanks.

joysl said:
Hi,

I have some problem with my USB flash drive after installing a school program. Before that, my system is running well with the flash drive.
It seems my computer is not able to detect the device even though I had
un-installed the school program.
When I check at the device manager, it is an unknown device.
When I try to install the driver, I could not, stating, the flash drive could not be found. I am using Windows XP SP2 and Imation flash drive.
By right, I do not need to install the flash drive driver as it will be auto detected.

I tried using my flash drive on other computers, it is running ok.
Can anybody advise what I can do to resolve this?

Thanks.

Use Device manager and remove the items related to USB such as USB root hub etc, reboot and let windows reinstall them, then try the flash drive.

Ididmyc600 said:
Use Device manager and remove the items related to USB such as USB root hub etc, reboot and let windows reinstall them, then try the flash drive.

that means I just right click the USB root hub and choose uninstall?
Will Windows auto detect them again and reinstall again?

Dont mind me asking too many question. Just that i'm not a very technical person?

Thanks. :grinthumb

joysl said:
that means I just right click the USB root hub and choose uninstall?
Will Windows auto detect them again and reinstall again?

Dont mind me asking too many question. Just that i'm not a very technical person?

Thanks. :grinthumb

No not at all, and yes its that simple, I like Windows at times, it can be so hard to break yet so easy to fix.

Yes that should do the job and if that failes then your computer is missing or has a corrupted mass storage device driver.
I have had this problem many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back