Can't format hard-disk nor do partition when using boot disk. Hard-disk failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidsministrator

My company's computer needs to be patitioned and reformat. The system is still working well. I mean, nothing wrong with anything (weird huh?). Ok the hard disk just need to be 'split'. I mean, make drive C & D on the hard disk. I know how to do that... easy... Then the HD need to be formatted & reinstall windows XP. Ok, easy too..

But the main problem occured before I do anything (partition & format). I have my own bootable CD that I usually use for partitioning & formatting.

Ok, i insert the CD & restart.
I went to BIOS & changed the boot order (1st boot: CD-ROM, 2nd: HDD-0 & 3rd: Floppy). Then restart again.
Ok the bootable CD is excellently loaded.
I typed fdisk, then came the first problem. it says something like 'no fixed disk'. I exit fdisk.
Then I typed format c:, 2nd problem occured. it says something like, 'invalid drive'.
I forgot the error message because the pc is in my office right now. I'm currently at home 'begging for help' :) So the error message is not accurate. sorry..

I think, if I run the CD, the hard disk will not be loaded (or should I say, hard disk failure). & If I take off the CD & restart again, change the BIOS (1st boot: HDD-0) then windows will load! Weird right?

I don't think my CD is 'corrupted' nor broken because I tried to run the CD from another PC. Yes, I can access the C drive from that PC.

Does anyone have any idea of the possibilities here? Hard disk failure when running a win98 bootable CD? bad BIOS setting? File System?

Thanks

It sounds like it might be the bootable CD you've created is not picking up the HDD's/partitions.
To eliminate this as a posibility travel to bootdisk and grab the WinME bootdisk and boot from there. If it picks up the HDD you can FDISK and Format from there.
The other option is to boot using the XP CD and let it handle the formatting/partitioning duties...

patio. :cool:

Cd-rom Drive

Perhaps is the CD-ROM DRIVE and not the CD who is giving the error message.

When a CD-ROM is old or very used it is giving such of errors.

Change the Drive and try again.

Good luck for the future.

If that drive exists, and it's in fair working order (as I think you mentioned) then Partition Magic will pick it up and help you set it up. However it would have done the partitioning on the fly as well. Just make sure you BACKUP YOU IMPORTANT DATA before you do.....

If the drive is formatted in ntfs then a win98 bootdisk will not be able to read the partitions at all!!!!!!!!!

Hdd Format

What OS are you using?

If are You using an Win98 bootdisk you can't format the drive when the file system is NTSF.

You can use a CD with a program Hiren's Boot and there is a program that allows to change the Ntsf in Fat or Fat32 or another type.

Then you can try to format again

Good Luck to you

danimur said:
If are You using an XP you can't format the drive when the file system is NTSF.

If you are referring to a windows xp cd, it CAN format in NTFS!!!!!!!!!!!

Is true, but he asked for help and information regarding formatting the drive with a Win98 Bootdisk

Which is not possible if the file system are NTSF, yes you can format with a XP cd....

That's why I suggested to change the system files in Fat32 if they are NTSF.

Great minds eh danimur, atleast it means im not the only one that thinks that the 98 boot disk is the cause of the problem!!!!!!

Os

It hasn't said here what type the OS is using.

I guess it is Win Xp and is having only the Bootdisk for Win98 to boot up, which is not useful.

I don't know.

aidsministrator said:
Ok, i insert the CD & restart.
I went to BIOS & changed the boot order (1st boot: CD-ROM, 2nd: HDD-0 & 3rd: Floppy). Then restart again.
Ok the bootable CD is excellently loaded.
So, the CD begins to boot? How do you know it is working, is there a screen that comes up or a program that runs?

I typed fdisk, then came the first problem. it says something like 'no fixed disk'. I exit fdisk.
Then I typed format c:, 2nd problem occured. it says something like, 'invalid drive'.
Under almost no circumstances should you be using FDISK on a Windows XP computer. You should boot from the Windows XP install CD and partition/format the drives there. Not only is it easier, but you can also format using NTFS which is very highly recommended, as FAT32 is inferior in a number of ways.

Does anyone have any idea of the possibilities here? Hard disk failure when running a win98 bootable CD? bad BIOS setting? File System?
If you're installing Windows 98, then I understand the need for FDISK. You should consider using the floppy setup disk instead, which can be found at www.bootdisk.com. If you're trying to use a 98 CD to install XP, don't do it! There's no reason to and it will cause nothing but greif.

hard disk failure
If you receive this while booting, it means the target boot disk does not have a valid boot record (aka MBR and Boot Sector).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back