Can't get online:linux

• Thread starter thewoosterisroot
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thewoosterisroot

So yeah, i'm new to linux, and basically, i have DSL, but linux won't go online, and i'm not sure what to do. Any help would be aprreciated, thanks.

What Linux?
"Won't go online" means what? What did you try to do and what happened?
"DSL" means what? You have a DSL modem that goes to your USB port?

Does your system recognize it?
Do you have the driver modules compiled and loaded in the kernel?

Have you configured your system to use ppp?

Basically, i have DSL(Brodband), i have a D-link router, attached to a 660(sprint) modem. When i hook up the computer(the one with linux) the net connection lights(on the netcard) light, so no prob there. But when i try to acces mozzilla(and i think there is a connection), it just pauses saying "resolving host....." and the it give me a message saying that is can't find the host. I would think this means that it is not online, but i'm way new to linux so i'm not really sure what to do. I've messed with the network applications a bit, but no results.

You need to set up the network card in Linux just like you set it up in Windows..

If you have DHCP, then set IP addresses etc to be retrieved automatically. If you have static IP setup, then you set it manually.

Unless you tell us what exact Linux distribution you have, then that's as detailed instructions as you get.

Unless you tell us what exact Linux distribution you have, then that's as detailed instructions as you get.
Oh, sorry, my bad. Like i said, i'm new to linux....umm...linux 9...is that all you need to know?

There is no such thing as Linux 9.. SuSE version 9 perhaps? RedHat 9? Mandrake 9?

Oh, and setting up networking is definitely somewhere in the Friendly Manual.. Even if you are spoon fed, you have to learn to chew and swallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back