Can't Get Sound Device To Work

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a HP Pavilion ZX5000 Laptop with Windows XP. I bought it used without a Sound Device and no restore disk for it. The former owner couldn't get it to work either. I downloaded the one HP has on their website for it but it just makes the computer freeze the moment it tries to make a sound. I don't know if there is a driver I need to get it to work or if that's just the wrong sound device or what. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

I'm confused a bit. You bought it without a sound device. So you installed one? Which one?

I installed the one HP had listed on their site for this model. It is the SoundMax Digital Audio device. this one...

ADI 1981B Audio Driver for Windows 2000/XP version 1.00A

I download it and try to install it but it freezes right away so I have to restart the computer with the last known good configuration.

google for Sound Blaster Live, there's a huge library (~35mb) for download
which allows you to install Drivers Only. It seems to do a good job at installing
the correct driver :)

You confused me when you used the terms device and driver interchangeably. They are not the same. I checked the HP site and you appear to have downloaded the correct driver for your model. I think jobeard may be mistaken about the Sound Blaster Live site because you have an integrated audio made by Soundmax, a different outfit.

Maybe you can check the Soundmax site to see if there is a more recent driver that is appropriate for your notebook. I can't say for sure if they have one though. You could try to download another copy from the HP site. Maybe the first one was corrupted somehow.

Check the BIOS to make sure the onboard sound is enabled. I'm not sure if your BIOS even has that option but it can't hurt to check.

mailpup said:
I think jobeard may be mistaken about the Sound Blaster Live site because you have an integrated audio made by Soundmax, a different outfit.
oops, didn't check the system specs for an integrated chip :blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back