Can't initialize or format logical disk in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there,

First some info:

Yesterday I purchased a Promise FastTrak TX2300 SATA RAID Controller and two Hitachi 250 GB Harddrives (Deskstar T7K250) to create a RAID0 array. After installing the RAID Controller in Windows XP I was able to see two 250GB harddrives, only thing I had to do was to initialize and format both drives in Windows. Next I created a RAID0 array and started Windows. In Windows it recognizes the drive as a 465,77GB un-initialized drive.

My motherboard is a MSI KT3V (MS6712)

The problem:

The format function is greyed out so I cannot initialize nor format the drive.

According to the FastTrak TX2300 manual this condition may occur when the Reserve Sector of one of the drives has become corrupt or bad. And removing (erasing) the reserve sector will remedy any issue related directly to a bad reserve sector. To do this you have to delete the logical disk, create a new one and quick initialize it.

That's what I did, but the drive still shows up as a 465,77GB un-initialized drive which I cannot format. Whenever I delete the RAID0 array Windows shows up two seperate un-initialized drives which I am also unable to format.

Also tried Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test to format my drive but the program cannot find my RAID controller.

No word yet from Promise techsupport, I hope someone here can help me out.

Cheers,

look in bios see if you can enable boot from pci or and other devices
some older bios's don't have a pci boot device setup
you may need this to fix the error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back