Can't install ANY video card driver, it says "not enough resources" in device manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all!

I have a wweeeiiird problem. It started with that my screen looked all messed up after booting up (once past the win xp logo, when the video card driver kicks in i suppose). It looked like horisontal lines all over the screen (not moving, frozen...) and i had to restart. Once restarted everything worked fine. This happened a few times (two or three i think). But finally it didnt help to restart, so i started up in safe mode and uninstalled my video card. I actually removed the card (ati radeon 9800 pro) and put in my old one (3d prophet 4500) just to be sure nothing happened to my expencive radon card. Then it worked booting up normally. XP found the card and tried to install it. It didnt work properly, it said. So I had a look in the device manager. There I found that the AGP bridge to pci or something had one of those yellow bad-signs on it. Two other devices (also under "system devices") named "PCI Standard PCI-to-PCI bridge" had the same yellow sign. Looking under properties it says this:

"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

I uninstalled the AGP bridge (whatever that one was called) so that one isnt in the list of system devices any more. Now its just two of the other type I mentioned above.

I've tried to find info about this problem by surfing around, but I haven't found anything... or at least anything that I understand... But it seems that I might need to upgrade my bios. But i don't know.

Anywhoo, I'm SOO tired of surfing and working with no driver to my video card.. it takes forever to just scroll a webpage :mad:

So I would be enooormously grateful for any help!!!

My specs: Windows XP sp2... ABIT NF7 2.0, AMD 1900+, 768 MB DDR 266 MHz, 60 GB hdd, Ati Radeon 9800 Pro (usually), right now: kyro II 3d prophet 4500, some cd-burner...

Hey man

Hey...

Lol, this comes from runnig a Ati card on a Nvidia nForce chipset! no just kidding ...
Anyway seems like you screwed windows up beyond recognition :blackeye: ....]
There is an easy solution and a difficult one..
The easiest way to fix your problem and establish if you don't have any other combinations of problems is:
1) Find a loan hard drive to reinstall a fresh copy of windows with your new display card inside, or plunge right into it and reinstall windows on your current HD... remember to install the nForce drivers before anything else. While you at it remove any other pci cards that might be the cause of your problems.
2) If your PC crashes during the reinstallation you definately have a hardware problem, try your original display card again.
3) If you have two ram modules, remove one, test, swop them, test.
4) If your problem persists after this I recommend testing the card on another pc... if available. It could be a faulty display card...
5) I presume your pc worked fine before the new display cards installation.
6) If the display card works on another pc you have a compatibility issue (very nasty) on your hands, take it to a pc vendor near you to sort it out.

Good luck!....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back