Cant Install Drivers Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zax4567

I just baught a brand new nvidia 6600GT. I tried to install the drivers it came with and in the middle of the installation i got this message, "Windows could not load the installer for Display. Contact your hardware vendor for assistance."

I went to Device Manager under display adapters and the video controller has a yellow sign with a "!" on it. Im not sure what to do!!

SOMEONE HELP ME.

Already tried it...

I've tried the updated drivers from nvidia.com and omega...Everytime I start installing i get that message in the middle of it.

Just a thought.

Did you disable any antivirus programme before trying to install the drivers?

The reason I ask is because having an antivirus programme running while trying to install drivers can seriously screw up the installation.

What card did you have before you got the new one?

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Nope

I don't have a anti-virus program.

Before this one i had a ati radeon 9800 se. I uninstalled all the drivers B4 installing the nvidia ones.

I think the video controller is messed up....Don't know how to fix it.

The only other thing I can suggest, is to download driver cleaner from http://www.drivercleaner.net/

First go into add remove programmes and uninstall any Nvidia or ATI entries.

Run the cab cleaner first for both Nvidia and ATI. Then run the driver cleaner for both Nvidia and ATI.

Now reboot your system, and try to install the drivers again.

Regards Howard :cool:

uh o..

Well I just found out that i need drivers for my Video Controller....I have no idea where to get these.

"Just found out" ? I thought that's why you started this thread!

Anyway, what is your OS? XP?
Be sure to download the right driver for your OS.

Unfortunately, some video drivers HAVE to have your video currently using a basic VGA driver before they will install. Not sure where I read that, could be a ATI thing but...

In Device Manager, go into the properties of your video and update the driver. Manually have it load Standard VGA Controller driver. Or whatever it's called. Once the video is successfully running under that driver, try the downloaded new driver again.

Just a thought.

Theres a picture of my problem.

That Display Error prevents me from installing Nvidia Drivers. :confused:

I can install ATI drivers, That same message pops up, but the installation continues anyway.

So wait a sec, you're trying to load NVidia AND ATI drivers? What is going on? Do you have two different video cards you're trying to use? Or is it a card and also onboard video?

Do you have Directx 9.0c installed? You need to have DX9 before loading the driver I think.
Also try to load the driver by directly browsing the CD (or temp files as it may be). So instead of running an "install" program, have windows update the driver and search in the driver folder of your driver disk or folder. And see if it will load that way.

It may be that you have a bad INF hanging around, which is a little more complex to find. Involve going into Safe Mode and destroying all traces of any drivers in registry. Also deleting the nvidia, or ati INF out of c:\windows\inf and c:\windows\inf\other.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that. Check directx. You may also want to update the windows installer, get it from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c&DisplayLang=en
I think that's the right one. It may not be your problem, but maybe your current installer isn't acting right for some reason.

cheers

No...i wasn't, BUT NOW I FIXED IT. I just took off Windows XP Service Pack 2. All the drivers reset and now i got this kick *** card working.

Wow, to bad you have to run without SP2, something bum in the system me thinks.

Glad it's working though, have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back