Can't install Flash Player or CD-ROM games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone.
First post....not even sure if I'm putting this in the right place...but here goes.
Our PC won't install Flash Player or CD-ROM games or play YOUTUBE videos.
If we try and install Flash Player the system says "Flash Player successfully installed' a few seconds later, but it actually isn't installed. We also can't install CD-ROM games....similarly, it staes that the games are installed but when we try and run them, the screen goes black and nothing happens!
The last time we tried to install Flah Player a dialog box opened stating that the system couldn't find the 'plug in'.......
Any ideas on solving this one?
Many thanks
Cheers
Wayne

could it be your firewall that is stopping it from running?
it may be worth posting an hjt log!

wayne156 said:
Hi everyone.
First post....not even sure if I'm putting this in the right place...but here goes.
Our PC won't install Flash Player or CD-ROM games or play YOUTUBE videos.
If we try and install Flash Player the system says "Flash Player successfully installed' a few seconds later, but it actually isn't installed. We also can't install CD-ROM games....similarly, it staes that the games are installed but when we try and run them, the screen goes black and nothing happens!
The last time we tried to install Flah Player a dialog box opened stating that the system couldn't find the 'plug in'.......
Any ideas on solving this one?
Many thanks
Cheers
Wayne

Hi Wayne and welcome to the TS Forum :wave:

try this

Click Start > settings >control panel> internet options.

On the general tab find settings > view objects > delete all in the list.

Now reboot and try and install flash player again...

Ps pencils aren't made of lead, they use graphite now..

Hi folks, thanks for the advice.
Tomrca I'm not actually sure sure what a hjt log is, ( a bit computer illiterate!)but would a firewall problem explain why it won't install/play CD-ROM games?

Ididmyc600, I did what you suggested except I left the 2 SHOCKWAVE ACTIVE-X objects as I think I need those.
I rebooted and tried to install Flash Player but still no luck.
...but would the internet settings explain why I can't play CD-ROM games either?

Cheers

Wayne

If you are running XP, make sure you update using Windows Update regularly. There has been recent updates concerning the ability to use Flash properly and other things

wayne156 said:
Hi folks, thanks for the advice.
Tomrca I'm not actually sure sure what a hjt log is, ( a bit computer illiterate!)but would a firewall problem explain why it won't install/play CD-ROM games?

Ididmyc600, I did what you suggested except I left the 2 SHOCKWAVE ACTIVE-X objects as I think I need those.
I rebooted and tried to install Flash Player but still no luck.
...but would the internet settings explain why I can't play CD-ROM games either?

Cheers

Wayne

HJT Hijack this Log, see Howard Hopkinso's post in the security section of the forum, it is designed to find spyware and the like.

As for not playing CD games, if the ones your trying use a flash animation at the beginning or during the install, then missing flash might stop it working.

When I said remove all, I meant remove all, shock wave and flash are kinds similar and a fault in one could cause a fault in the other, they are easily replaceable from the shockwave website.

A firewall wouldnt do any harm as far as I know, the floors open for further opinions.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back