Can't install OS on SATA Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I'm trying to install a fresh OS (XP) on my new 160gig seagate SATA barracuda. I get the message 'Setup could not determine one or more storage devices installed in your system.'

Can anyone please help me with this? My motherboard is an MSI PM8M-V.

Thank you,
Lannie

Are you certain that the SATA show up in the bios.

If it does, then try again. If it is still undetectable, then you may need the F6 floppy disk driver for the SATA.

If not, check the SATA's connection.

I tried using auto-detect on the BIOS, but it is unable to detect my SATA drive. My board didn't come with a floppy driver for sata drives. Is it downloadable?

Have You Been in Setup

Using mostly Dell Optiplexes so cannot speak for your computer but, I always have to go into Setup and enable SATA Disk 0 for C:\ and Sata dis 1 for D:\ etc.

Your system doesn't recognize the SATA drive because it lacks a SATA/RAID controller driver. To install this driver to continue with Windows XP installation you need a floppy drive. The F6 process will only recognize an internal floppy drive, not an external USB floppy. Your motherboard does have a FDD controller so you have the option of installing a floppy drive if you want. If you don't want to do so, you cannot use F6 to install the SATA controller drivers.

Then your other option is to make a slipstream CD that combines the Windows XP CD with the appropriate SATA/RAID controller drivers. Google for the procedure on how to make a slipstream CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back