Can't make a Decision :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalX

I'm getting a new video card around Christmas, and I can't decide whether to get an 8800GT or an 8800 Ultra. I'm not interested in the GTX/GTS versions. I really want an extremely powerful system, and as far as these cards are concerned, money is no object, but I can't decide if maybe it's a waste to get an Ultra. I only play at 1440x900... so I'm having some trouble knowing which one will be better suited overall. Feel free to look at my PC specs, if there's anything else that you think needs upgrading tell me about that too, because this is one of the few times I'll ever have $1000+ to spend on anything I want. :D Thanks.

I use Vista, not XP. In case anyone cares a fig.

If money is no object here you go

3-way-sli-review-roundup.jpg

Just kidding of course

I would go with the ultra

If it were me I would look at the GTX

I agree with Blind Dragon, go with 3 8800 GTX OC2's in SLI :D for über playing ;)

If you have that much of a budget then personally I would just go all out and get an Ultra, and a Quad core CPU ;) And an after market cooler to go with it, of course :D

Other than that all I could think of is more RAM but you already have 2GB of dual channel so that's good enough as it is really.

I should have said, my motherboard doesn't have SLI, and I don't want to upgrade anything but the video card and PSU if I need to. I will update my post.

8800 Ultra ONLY

OR

8800GT and 24" LCD, 1920x1200, 5ms

Gimme an answer. No SLI. No CPU upgrades. Just one of those 2 options. :D

I'd go with the 8800 Ultra. Wait....I already did. See my system specs. :)

You can still get your 24" LCD widescreen later.

Go with the 8800GT... can't beat the bang for the buck on that card.

The Ultra will perform a tad better, but I'd really say get a 512MB GT that should hold-you over until the next generation or you upgrade your whole system.

Just to throw this in, you could also get an 8800 GTS 512MB. It's a bit better than the GT because it is very similar but it costs a bit more too. You can also OC it and get it to be better than a GTX ;)

What? I don't understand now :(

How could a 512 8800GTS be better than a 640 GTS? Or is the 512 GTS just like an overclocked GT, and not even based on the original 640 GTS?

it's got more pixel pipelines and other small intricate details that help it get more graphics processing power. that's how a 512 can beat a 640mb. never forget that the small things are the ones that tend to count the most.

the 8800 gt and gts can be overclocked to the point where it can surpass the 8800ultra. but if you'd rather not risk damaging the card and shortening the life span, just get the ultra.

personally i'd be nervous with overclocking such a powerful and expensive component. so like almost everyone else, i'd go with that ultra.

oh NOES!i got a GTS 640Mb,is it that bad????? i mean on my 17" monitor everything looks perfect(runs even better) on 1024X768 and higher(for instance CS:Source,Time Shift,and graphical program called Terragen.)Did i made a mistake?

Dave your such a freaking elitist. How do you know the person is American. Maybe kserijaro lives in another country, maybe he/she just moved to america, who knows. Shove your PROPER English, its close enough to read it gooder. As you stated...its a forum...not Merriam-Webster school for the gifted.

As for the video cards, if i had the money for an 8800 id be happy. i dont think youll have any issues with either one. pick the one that is more appealing in color

I'm not elitest, I just don't think that a PC Tech forum is the place for that sort of thing, there are other forums out there where everyone talks like that and this one is for discussion about PC problems and questions etc.

I type in the 1337 h4xX0r language sometimes myself, but not in this forum because I use it in other places instead. Apart from this one time ;)

Mate, I'd rather you get an 8800GTS rev. 2 from eVGA and then step up to a 9800 series card when they're released. But if you absolutely need a powerful system now, get an HD 3870. It won't break the bank and is very powerful for the price. You could then save up for an X38-based mobo and a Penryn CPU, plus a new graphics card too. :)

I wrote in bad language? When? Can someone quote what I misspelled or that thing?i want to know please.

Thanks for the input everyone. Rage_3k, I looked at the 3870, and didn't like what I saw. I think I'm probably going to get the 8800GT but still thinking...

I recently purchased 2 8800 MSI ultras and as im impressed with sli built games, the heat is generated quickly. I've read that the 8800 gt is the BEST bang for the buck and at that resolution, you won't need an ultra

Seems like it's gonna be an 8800GT. A computer store near where I live has decided to be really stupid and show they don't know the value of a video card and put up BFG 8800GT OC cards for $139. Doesn't get much better than that.

I might get a Samsung 22" LCD 1680x1050, I read some reviews and Samsung's monitors seem to be the general favourite.

It might be the 256MB version of the card, although it is still dirt-cheap. And as far as monitors go, Dell's UltraSharp series is the best IMO.

It's the 512. I called the store to be sure. I don't think they know the value of those cards. I know Dell monitors are kick-***, but of the non-dell brands, Samsung seems to be the favourite, and I want to get something on sale. The 22" Samsung is only $249 Canadian (although I guess it's the same as American now) at Futureshop.

249 CAD is a great deal for a 22" monitor. Good luck with getting it and the card. Do update us when you get either. :)

Ok I made my purchase :D. I got an 8800GTS 512, the store just got them in about 2 days ago. Also got a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW, 22" 2ms 1680x1050.

I'm loving it :D. I can play all my games on max (except Crysis) and run SupCom in dual monitor mode using my old 19" LCD. I'll try to get some pics soon-ish.

11766 3dMarks in 3dMark06. That's up from 5478 with my 7950GT. :D

So I'm really happy with this new 8800. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back