Can't make partition larger the 7.8 MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to partition my hdd (Maxtor 7y250mo 232GB) without reformating so that I can run two operating systems (XP & Media). I've tried Partition Magic and Acronis Partition Expert and both give me a size limitation of 7.8 MB, no larger, no smaller. If anyone know the solution or has a suggestion I would very much apprieciate it. It's not that I want two operating systems that bad, its just because it won't let me. Help me show my computer whats up.

How is the drive partitioned now?

From what I've seen, Windows partitioning utilities create partitions that start from hdd cylinder 1, not 0, so there's one cylinder unused, ie. 8 MB (16 heads * 63 sectors * 512 bytes/sector).

Maybe your partitioning software is trying to create a partition in that area.

I'm using the ntfs. There is a unused space that size but both programs give me an option to create in the unpartitioned space or off the main partition. I tried adding the partitions together and resizing them but it tells me that the maximum and minimum size is 7.8 MB. It will also not let me try to create a third one after the 7.8 is created.

Don't you think you should RTFM?

Leave that 7.8 alone.
You need to resize your current partition first, leaving enough space at the end to create the new partition in (I suggest 50GB or more). Hit the Apply button and do that action first.
When done, create the new partition in that open space at the back. Hit Apply.
Format the new partition, hit Apply.
Do NOT try to do all actions in one go, it will cause MAJOR problems!

it still won't even let me resize my c: drive. It says there is no primary or logical partitions. Any other ideas besides reformating the whole hard drive.

I only have one hard disk layout and on partition (c:). it is a sata. I used everest to create a report on my computer if you are interested. Let me know and I can email it to you.

MourningWood said:
It says there is no primary or logical partitions. Any other ideas besides reformating the whole hard drive.
In that case, not really, unless you know how to fix the partition table.

Does your version of Acronis or Drive Image support SATA drives?

Also, AFAIK the W98 bootdisks do NOT support SATA drives.
You need to somehow load the SATA drivers before you can access the HD.
One of the reasons I'm sticking to PATA for the moment.

as it turns out I have an old version. I'm going to look into buying a new one tommorrow. Thank you guys for the help so far. I'll let you know how it goes. I would just make it simple and reformat but i've just done that about 4 times and don't feel like doing it again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back