Cant OC 2600+ on A7N8x

Status
Not open for further replies.

agissi

Well my friend has a 2600+ TBred, on a Asus A7N8x, with a SLK900 and a ~35CFM Fan to go with it.

When I go into the BIOS to change the CPU multi,it wont go any higher then what its at now, 12.5. It'll go lower, but not higher.

I can change the FSB all the way up to 211, but it wont go much higher then 180 - Plus I dont want to up the FSB that much, I just want to be able to OC the CPU a fair bit (since a 2600 with a SLK900 should be able to).

Any ideas on whats causing me to not be able to change the Multi? I thought I read on the internet somewhere theres a jumper you have to change but I read the manual and it didnt say anything about a OC jumper.

The board is the Deluxe, v2.0.

Its a common problem with AMD's new *locked* CPUs. Basically you need a mainboard that can read the 5th multiplier bit, in order to access multiplier settings of 13x and above. The Asus A7N8X does not read the 5th multiplier bit. The only mobo that I know about that does is the Abit NF7-S v2.0. For possible solutions, take a look at this article (see reader update at the end) ...

Unlocking and Overclocking the Athlon XP

"See with Athlon XP processors, (specifically Barton, I don't know about others) the 2500+ has the L3 bridge already closed, therefore you have access to multipliers 5.5-12.5 on most motherboards that allow for multiplier adjustments. (nforce2 for example).

However, a lot of the nForce2 boards do not read the 5th multiplier bit, so it will only give you a range of 5.5-12.5 OR 13 and up. Not all multipliers. SO with that bridge closed, you cannot select 13 or higher on a llot of motherboards. (specifically in my experience the ASUS A7N8X, but I believe this affects a lot more.)

So you have to CUT that L3 bridge to gain access to 13 and up. (That bridge is CUT for the athlon 3000+ for example.) So for people in my situation, (there are a lot of us in the nforcehq forums...) I am running PC2700 so I cannot get my FSB up to 200(x2), (175 (x2) Stable) soI would have to cut that bridge on my Barton 2500 to get access to the higher multipliers as I'm hitting the ceiling at 12.5, and I'm sure my processor will go farther than 2.19 with no voltage increase. Granted I COULD run in synchronous mode, but the performance hit on doing so is actually pretty large. More so than just leaving it as it is."

"See with Athlon XP processors, (specifically Barton, I don't know about others) the 2500+ has the L3 bridge already closed, therefore you have access to multipliers 5.5-12.5 on most motherboards that allow for multiplier adjustments. (nforce2 for example).

Well my friend has a 2600+ TBred

Make sure it works the same way for the TBred before you make that modification.

I know someone else who has an A7N8X Deluxe, and they can't even get their FSB above 200 because the board is holding them back.

oh yeah ofcourse, it must be the board! geez - he should have got your Epox or Abit NFS-7.. cant believe he was dumb enough to get an Asus mobo! silly friend of mine.

Wow, someone's picky today...I was just pointing out that you won't get it much higher because the board isn't very good with OC'ing...christ...

His OCing is limited by his Ram ( PC2700 ), not by the board.

& please watch your language.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back