Can't Play games....help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

need your help/advice!!!!

I have been trying to get games to work on my PC for about 2 months now. I have a dual boot system running Win98 & XP Pro.
nVidia 53.03 drivers DirectX 9.0B. Leadtek A310 FX5600 256MB.
in XP, Games like Call of Duty, MOHAA, BF1942, Halo etc load up the start menu but when starting the game I get a black screen. Games line V8 Challenge load up in game to a wireframe game with no shading etc. All these games and others work fine in Win98. I have only just reinstalled WinXP Pro and reinstalled drivers, there is nothing else installed on my system. This problem happened before I upgraded my video card from a GF4 MX 440 to the now GFFX5600.
When I run dxdiag.exe the directx7 D3D test fails to display the X on the cube, however, Directx8 & 9 tests pass.
I have tried going back to older drivers etc, but I I get the same problem, I have adjusted the screen resolution and refresh rates, and played around with the nVidia setting in display properties, but this has not helped any.

Any ideas? Could there be something in the setting I have missed, maybe the Bios? or mobo???

many thanks

Tankie24alpha

Update!!!!!!!

I have made the settings on XP side the same as the Win98 side, now when starting up Halo, get a solid colour flash then change to another solid colour. this keeps flashing through different colours. If i didn't know better, i'd think I was trippin' out!!!!

Is this too hard for people? I see a lot of people viewing it, but no replies. It's too damn hard for me! :(

Do you by chance have both systems on FAT32 partition and are you sharing the game directories between both systems? Just curious.

I'm wondering if maybe you're not running into a conflict of some sorts by sharing between the two. Also, do you do a full reboot when switching between one O/S and the other? I've seen many cases with dual-boot systems where if the system's not fully rebooted (sometimes even shut down), resources from one (sound card, NIC etc.) are tagged as still being used by the first one in use and can't be used by the second.

Just curious....what's the reason for your dual-boot setup. Is it mainly to play some of the older games that won't run under XP?

Thanks Masque!!

I do a complete reboot from one OS to the other.
I use 98 for older games and apps that don't work in XP. And mainly for trouble shooting.

I have since been able to fix the problem. I reinstalled XP Pro upgrading to SP1. And this appears to have solved the problem.
Does DirectX 9 require to have SP1 to work???

Thanks for your time anyway.

Uproar

Uproar- Does anyone know whats going on with that site. I cant play the games my screen is black. Im going crazy. Please help

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Why have you posted in a thread that`s well over two years old? :haha:

This is taken from the Uproar site.

ATTENTION UPROAR.COM USERS:
As of 11:59pm Eastern Time on September 30, 2006, uproar.com will no longer be an active web site and participation in the uproar.com games will no longer be available. All iCoins must be used before 11:59pm Eastern Time on September 20, 2006. After that date, all unused iCoins will become invalid and may not be redeemed for entries into sweepstakes. We thank you for your participation in and support of uproar.com.

Seems the site may have stopped a little early.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

He/She probably didn't know how to repost, although I have responded to things that are years old (it is embarrasing though).

I did it myself a time or two when I first became a member. I can`t remember who pointed it out to me, but I never did it again lol.

Regards Howard :)

wtf is wrong with my computer?

when playing halo for pC online the server list come up... but only one game shows the ping and that one game is the only one im able to enter. i have emailed microsoft.. they havnt found nything.. i disabled my firewalls and antivirus... i cleared the ports halo uses... and i have the latest update.. and nothign works! please help me out!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back