Can't reach 166Mhz with KingMAX TinyBGA PC2400 DDR RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokem

Hi all,

I'm using the aforementioned RAM in my system and have been trying to up the FSB to 166. The system hangs in the POST screen when it checks for the memory.

I know this RAM is only rated till 150Mhz, but I've seen pple reaching 174Mhz using the same RAM. I've also tried lowering the CAS latency to 2.5 and upping the voltage to 2.8. Still no luck.

Anyone has any tip on what other memory settings to change? My current memory settings is set to Turbo. I'm using an Epox 8KHA+ and an AXP 1600+.

TIA!

Are you sure it's the memory module that's limiting speed? Try automatic setting if your bios has that available, or set everything (CAS, RAS & stuff) to slowest possible. If it works, start increasing the memory speed bit by bit.

Are you sure it's the memory module that's limiting speed?

That part I'm not sure, but it seems like it. I've tried the memory at 155Mhz, and it works fine.

What type of automatic setting are you referring to? Are you referring to Turbo, Normal, Fast, Fastest settings?

Turbo, fast, fastest.. :haha:
My motherboard has the option 'Automatic' that sets the speed so that it works no matter what speed I use. I'm not sure if it works fast but at least it works.
Is memory / fsb ratio 1:1? Or is it 3:4? Or something else?

It could be anything in your system, even devices on the motherboard. At 166 Mhz your PCI bus is at 41.5 Mhz. That's pushing it. I've never gotten above 156 FSB (38.75 PCI) and had good stability.

Originally posted by lokem
Hi all,

I'm using the aforementioned RAM in my system and have been trying to up the FSB to 166. The system hangs in the POST screen when it checks for the memory.

I know this RAM is only rated till 150Mhz, but I've seen pple reaching 174Mhz using the same RAM. I've also tried lowering the CAS latency to 2.5 and upping the voltage to 2.8. Still no luck.

Anyone has any tip on what other memory settings to change? My current memory settings is set to Turbo. I'm using an Epox 8KHA+ and an AXP 1600+.

TIA!

server_on_fire_md_wht.gif

Lokem,

I've just bought some of that Ram too, not clocked it yet. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to ;). I've seen people get to 160 and keep it stable, but not 166. I was hoping to get 160 @ CAS2. Have you tried Ram Sinks? or even the active heat spreaders, from thermaltake (Basically a heat spreader with a fan on top). Hope this helps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back