Can't sell used music CD's anymore [new laws]...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rilla927

This story is a real eye-opener...

New "pawn shop" laws are springing up across the United States that will make selling your used CDs at the local record shop something akin to getting arrested. No, you won't spend any time in jail, but you'll certainly feel like a criminal once the local record shop makes copies of all of your identifying information and even collects your fingerprints.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070507-record-shops-used-cds-ihre-papieren-bitte.html

CDs and DVDs are.....

Two of the most often stolen items during burglary. If these laws are addressing this issue, they're not such a bad idea.

Sony sells a 400 disc DVD Changer. With Copy protection what is, I guess the manufacturers would like you to fill one of these things with your original Discs, so that a thief could pick the whole thing and walk away with it. Total value, in excess of $4000.00. After all, You would have to buy all new ones. By all means, take the guy's name that's selling this stuff at the pawnshop.

In a more negative vein, practically anybody can copy a CD nowadays. Therefore, buying a CD, copying it as many times as you please and then selling it would be huge copyright violation. So, these laws can be interpreted to signify a preemptive strike at would be pirates.

This post is not intended as an attempt at moralizing in any way. I'm only trying to explain what might be in the minds of legislators.

The same thing applies to returning an opened CD to a retailer. You can only return it for the same item. Copyright issue. Besides, in this case, can you imagine how many CDs would be returned simply because they suck big time. < I am moralizing there. I'ts OK for them to steal from you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back