Cant setup WPA encryption only WEP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prevs

I can only setup WEP ecryption even though my router and wireless NIC supports WPA, I tried PSK string and Hex Im using a D-Link router G604-T
I think its my NIC because ive had problem with it because it shut down my pc when i ran areuras yesterday, its a Excel wirless and im pretty sure its a dogy brand. Im kicking myself becasue the net gear was about $5 more. There is no manufactures website I can find, I rand belarc and the only info I could get was it was made by marvel and it is IEEE 802.11g Wireless Cardbus/PCI Adapter I went to the website and it was a seriosly crap website and i couldn't even find the card. Is there someone how has had the same problem perhaps with ths same card. Im thinking of returning it but i need a good excuse or they wont accept it.

Im thinking of returning it but i need a good excuse or they wont accept it.

well if you return it within the grace period then you shouldnt need any excuse to be said.. just say your not satisfied with it/doesnt do the job/not suitable/etc. that should be enough to get you through any returns process..

if that fails, just mention your local Consumer Authority (like ACCC and Fair Traiding in Australia) and they should be smart enough to follow through.. if not then go ahead and report them..

most likely if its after the grace period then maybe an exchange for same value or lower or a credit.. it depends on the particular shop and how they handle things.

Having said all that, there is two disclaimers that i'd like to point out: the card should be kept at "sale-able" condition for you to be able to do a return/exchange, that does include the box and packaging, and you adhere to their policy on returns and such

Boy setting up encryption can be a royal pain in the rectum. It took me several days to figure out how to get my desktop wireless access point (a linksys wireless-G) to talk to my laptop with encryption.

One thing I will tell you is everything has to match precisely in order to get it to work.

Now that it works, it's great and I don't have to worry about neighbors snooping in my system nor do I have off mooch off their unsecured systems and deal with faint signals when I need to surf on my laptop.

Figured it out

Yeah, because I had done a clean reinstall I only had xp with service pack one, to enable the OS to recognize WPA you need to have service pack 2 installed. I think there is a hotfix but thats included in SP2 anyways.

don't fret the little stuff; WAP is great, but WEP will be fine too. It takes a
real techie to break into WEP. Make sure you stop broadcasting the SSID
and it will discourage 98% of the hacks.

yeah im not so sure about that

I read alot of wifi articles on security before I set up my wirless and a pro can break 128 bit WEP key in 4 hours, but even somone with basic understanding of encryption can get 3rd party programs like airsnort or something like it and they can apparently break wep encryption for you, it will take longer but its still possible.Where as if your using WPA and have a key 20 character or more and is a strong key it is for all intents and purposes unbreakable. It would be easier for they to break into your house physically.

yeh.. that is true.. that is why WPA is the prefered encryption method since its a lot harder to break. But still, even runing Airsnort or sorts will take time, and both pc and router/wifi device must be comunicating constantly for that duration to "pick up" the key.

Just think of it as a temporary measure untill you get it working.. and also this link may help you.. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0604.mspx

It would be easier for they to break into your house physically.
One would wiegh up the choices of waiting a couple of hours to use a few $$ worth of internet time for free, or stealing your rig (among others) to pay for the internet time (and other things that require $$)..... hard choice aint it lol... :D

They just have to pray you dont have back-to-base alarm system installed...........

Yeah once SP2 was installed the rest was easy, ive got WPA, mac address filtering, my SSID hidden and with a bit of fiddling i reckon i can get my transmit range to around 6 meters so they would have to be pretty close. Another thing that can be done is use static IP's but i think that would be pointless if youve got mac filtering. Mind you ive got a dlink router and their as easy to set up as you can get. I tried a billion while it had a few more features like WPA2 it was a nightmare to setup wheras the Dlink pretty much worked strait out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back