Cant share printer/files but internet is ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptitterington

I have read as many reviews as I can but I must be doing something stupid.
I have a Draytek Vigor 2600we adsl modem/router.
I have my machine connected via a cable to one of the ports (this machine also has the printer connected to it.), and I have another pc with a wireless card fitted and a laptop with the same.

(The laptop also is set up to use the schools network and their card will not work on mine I dont want to mess their settings, there are 3 printers already accessable at the school network.)

I am able to connect to broadband on all three fine.

I have followed step by step the built in xp network wizard although It does not like the Idea that all 3 machines access the net directly.

I have named the printer and the machines and allowed the network to be MSHOME.
I have installed the drivers on the laptop for the printer.

I have enabled printer and file sharing.
What am I not doing.

Thanks

Did you put the users and passwords from the other machines on the computer sharing the printer?

Probably not, I presumed somehow misguidedly that following the steps in the wizard it would work.

Where do I enter this info?

All the magasine guides I read make it appear too easy.

I new there hd to be more to it.

Have you make sure that you have properly installed the following components:

File and Printer Sharing For Microsoft Network
NWLink NetBIOS
NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol
QoS Packet Scheduler

NetBIOS and IPX protocols are not necessary for Windows XP/2000 to Windows XP/2000 networks.

This might sound silly, but did you right click on your printer in the printer control panel, choose "sharing" from the menu and then select "Share Printer"

Well i have managed to make it work by diabling the firewall. How bad is this.

I Found under related topics
NW Link IPX/SPX/NETBIOS compatable transport protocol I clicked ok.

Unfortunately when I clear the (TCP/IP) box i am unable to connect to the internet.
ARRR

I use a Linksys router and Zonealarm Pro. I'm not familiar with your router. What are you using for a Firewall? I found in ZAP you have to set the LAN IP to trusted zone from internet zone to share files and printers.

What kind of firewall is it? You may have NetBIOS ports blocked in there (ZoneAlarm blocks them by default I think). That's of course if you are using NetBIOS.

I must admit that I am a little confused.
There is an inbuilt firewall that I thought I had stopped so that my kids could use instant messaging and I was too stupid to sort out the proxy server thing..
I disconnected the xp firewall and the file and printer sharing works fine.
I ran the norton web security check and It gave me a pretty good clean bill of health with mu settings.

Odd but it works.

Thanks

If you are behind a well-confirgured router, then your firewall does little more.

The XP firewall does have the unfortunate side effect of blocking local network traffic, so that is probably culprit as you have found. Using a 3rd party program, such as ZoneAlarm, will give you better control over your security, without interfering with your network traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back