Can't turn off windows firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayesey

cant turn off windows firewall

i have windows xp pro. i have the sp2 version.
my problem is i cannot get into windows firewall so that i can turn off. i go control panel-->security centre-->windows firewall. i click on windows firewall and get a message 'windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not runnning. do you want to start the windows firewall/ internet connection sharing (ICS) service'
i then click yes.
i then get this error message 'windows cannot start the windows firewall/internet connection sharing service' i press ok and it takes me back to security centre. i know that it is switched on because since i installed sp2 i have not been able to have voice conversations in MSN messenger and noone has been able to connect to a teamspeak server i have running on my pc. i also get the pop up blocker, and the warnings about downloading files.

does anyone know what my problem could be or how could i turn the firewall off?

Hello mayesey!
First, let's back up your registry:

1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type "regedit" (without the quotes) and click OK.
4. In the Registry Editor, click File > Export.
5. Make sure that "All Keys" are selected for export, give the file a name, and click Save. Make sure you note where the file is being saved to. Then, try this:

1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type "cmd" (without the quotes) in the box and click Ok.
4. At the prompt, type (pressing Enter after each line):

REG DELETE HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess /v DependOnService

REG ADD HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess /v DependOnService /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "Netman"

5. Reboot. Now, attempt to turn off your firewall.

If this doesn't work, locate the registry backup we made earlier, double-click on it, and merge it back into your current registry. This will return your system to its original state.

EDIT: Formatting.

thanks alot guruboy, youre a lifesaaver. i can never work out how some people here know all this stuff, must just be genius'. anyway thanks alot and it worked like a charm. im now windows firewall free

I'd have to thank Google and Expert's Exchange on this one. Glad you're up and running, regardless.

Hmm, I usually just do a Google search, and when the EE sites come up, I just wait for them to load. I paid for access one time, but then I cancelled my membership when I realized much smaller and more friendly areas (like this one!) were available.

EE says stuff needs to be paid for.

Amazingly enough, you can google for darn near anything they said required money, and you'll find the full EE version on their own site. Usually have to scroll past 50 ads and a few more.

guruboy said:
Hello mayesey!

1. Click Start
2. Click Run
5. Make sure that "All Keys" are selected for export, give the file a name, and click Save. Make sure you note where the file is being saved to. Then, try this:

1. Click Start
2. Click Run

REG DELETE HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess /v DependOnService

REG ADD HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess /v DependOnService /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "Netman"

If this doesn't work, locate the registry backup we made earlier, double-click on it, and merge it back into your current registry. This will return your system to its original state.

Hello ,
As far as you know bout registry and google couldnt help me you might help me .
Same 'thing' if i can say this way but when i turn Firewall on he come back off automatlly without give an error message or doing something illegal operation.
After i scanned my computer with many AV i found some backdoor and trojans wich im unable to delete them.
As far as i have NTFS i cant scan hdd in 'dos mode' to desinfect surely.
Few days ago my email has been hacked too and i have been send a log file with key pressed i can past some lines from there maybe looks familiar and can help me remove it too; im unable to reinstall windows cauase i have some programs that cannot be installed again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Boot:[15/02/2005]-[12:54:36]

[Yahoo! Mail - mailpentruspam@yahoo.com - Microsoft Internet Explorer]-[12:54:36]
[Microsoft Internet Explorer]-[12:54:39]
[about:blank - Microsoft Internet Explorer]-[12:54:39]
mai{UNDO}il..
[Ivenus.com | Log in - Microsoft Internet Explorer]-[12:54:44]
bb
{TAB}oae7610
[Ivenus.com | Inbox - Microsoft Internet Explorer]-[12:54:53]

[Yahoo! Mail - mailpentruspam@yahoo.com - Microsoft Internet Explorer]-[12:56:08]

[Washington Mutual - Corporate Home Page - Microsoft Internet Explorer]-[12:56:10]
[Ivenus.com | Inbox - Microsoft Internet Explorer]-[12:56:10]
[Index of /nokia - Microsoft Internet Explorer]-[12:56:13]

The Easy turn off

Right-click: My Computer / Manage / Click: [+] on "Services and Applications" / click: Services

Now on the right-hand side page down until you find the service: Windows Firewall ... and just turn it off.
(Right-click & then STOP)

somebody please help me out.....
i have this software called mp3 rocket.. whenever i open it, it shows a message in left hand bottom corner that its detetcted a firewall..
i have turned off windows firewall but in security system it still appears on....
no file sharing programme is running i tried limewire n ares too...
so can anyone please tell me whats wrong wid my pc...

deepalic22 said:
i have this software called mp3 rocket.. whenever i open it, it shows a message in left hand bottom corner that its detetcted a firewall..
i have turned off windows firewall

BAD Policy to turn it off! All you need is to open specific ports (that should be documented!)

If you run with the FW disabled, you'r ASKING for problems.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Thanks for the help

It was very easy solution from you nothing complicated, Thanks.

guruboy said:
Hello mayesey!

1. Click Start
2. Click Run

1. Click Start
2. Click Run

I am having the same prob as above. I cannot download spyware updates or up load files to another program. I have turned off fire wall and when I hit the windows firewall (the brick wall) it tells me that the fire wall is on but when I hit the windows firewall (brick wall) at the bottom of the page the "firewall off" has the dot in it. My AOL security program says no firewall detected.

Thanks for any help

rjbrjb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back