Can't uninstall Encarta '99

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritwik7

I'v had Microsoft Encarta '99 installed on my comp for about 2 years...I'v been trying to remove it but it just wont uninstall...Even when I try removing it from Add/Remove Programs I get an error.
I just deleted the folder from my drive but ran into problems...Like Half Life 2 crashed several times after removing Encarta...I can't understand why this is happening...Can anyone please tell me how to get rid of it?
Thanx...

Hi

I cant see how deleting one program would cause another to crash,

What happened when you tried to uninstall it,
Whats happens to HL2.
Have you ran a chkdsk on the HD.

Regards

Its too late now

Deleting a Program will not uninstall it.But it might of had an
Uninstall.exe
in the folder you deleted,some do.
Now it's a Registry problem.You can delete it there,
but it's your decision.
not my advice.
Do a Registry Export all first if you do.

As soon as the problems occured I restored my system to an earlier date...So Encarta was restored...Then HL 2 started working fine again...
Whenever I try uninstalling Encarta it says "An exception occured...." Then another message "Run DLL as an App has encountered a problem..."
The computer functions fine but i really want 2 remove Encarta...
Thnx...

Can you perform a re-install - some MS software has a repair type install, some simply allows a reinstall, some does not allow either if the original install registered correctly.

But if you can reinstall, you have a better chance of being able to unistall immediately afterwards. The reason it affects other software is probably because there is a shared DLL or more in windows\system32. If the other software that shares the DLL was installed later, then the date stamp will no longer match that of Encarta, which could account for failure of the uninstall.

With 8-year-old software, I feel you are likely to have problems...

You could also try unistalling (temporarily) the other conflicting software (half-life) first.

If I was in your situation, and could find no cure, I would indeed delete the directoy of encarta, then delete from the registry all lines which referenced 'c:\encarta' or whatever the installed directory is (plus I would search for the DOS-equivalent path found from the property panel of one of the files in the top directory - usually with ~1 on the end)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back