Can't uninstall Flight Simulator X

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerex

I can't Uninstall Fsx! When I get to the uninstall dialog, load bar gets 1/3 of the way, then the hard drive clicks and it stops. Anyone know anygood uninstall programs?

If your hard drive is making clicking noises then it's most likely damaged. I recommend backing up all your data, buying a new drive and go from there.

IF your HD is OK, it sometimes helps to re-install the game over the old game (assuming you didn't fool around with the default installation so it installs in the same place).

THEN, do an Add/Remove uninstall.(whatever they call it in Vista now - same thing)

Game won't let me install over, plus hard drives usually click when they're processing. Put your ear to the case when It's starting up and you'll hear muffled clicks.

Do you have a System Restore point back before you installed the game? (I admit, I don't do Vista)

I'm very experienced with hardware and am fully aware that hard drives make noise... after all I have a Raptor and they're very noisy. The "normal" operation noise does not sound like clicking to me. I'd have to hear the noise coming from your drive to judge for myself and obviously that's not possible.

in regards to the hdd clicking problem, sometimes there is a 'normal' operating sound other times its a definate defect, which both 'click', however sound distinctively differently. To be sure, you can run the diagnostic application from the manufacturer of the hdd (free download from their websites) and also checkdisk if you want...

the uninstall problem, is it just with flight sim x? would other programs have the same problem or just that?

as stated above, there is the method of installing over the old one, and then uninstalling, or using the original install file and if it has the option when it loads to uninstall it directly.. failing that, you can try 3rd party removal programs like ccleaner and see if that works or the manual way to uninstall, which requires you to dig into the program files folder and registry.. something no-one that doesn't know what they're doing to perform by themselves..

probably the easiest method of manual removal is to delete (or move/rename it then reboot the pc to see if it has any effect as caution before you delete it) the game folder in the program files (wherever you installed it), then delete the shortcuts in start menu/desktop as well as any auto-loading startup apps related to it, then use ccleaner to clean up the rest. Although backing up is probably advisable still.

fyi, add/remove programs in vista is now titled "Programs and Features"...

Click, soft toosh, whatever. I contacted Microsoft support and they got me fixed up, great support. And restore point, okay. I'll set my computer back 7 months to uninstall one game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back