Can't use mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

detoam

Hi there!
I just got my mobo today and it comes with the Realtek ALC883 on-board audio. First of all I wanna say that the sound is great. However I am unable to get out of my Mic. I have checked all the settings over and over and still nothing. I know my mic works since I use it all the time for gaming and for Camtasia. Does anyone have a suggestion? Also I tried to find newer drivers, but their website is more confusing than E=MC2

If you just got your motherboard today, I assume you just assembled your system today. Make sure the microphone jack wire from your I/O panel is attached to your motherboard properly.

Your drivers are install right? You mic port may be broken, assuming that your sound is HD plug the mic into any other port and your drivers should promt you to ask what you plugged in. You say "microphone" and it works great.

Zenosincks said:
Eh, are you using the rear panel integrated mic jack?

Yes I am.

Acclamator said:
Your drivers are install right? You mic port may be broken, assuming that your sound is HD plug the mic into any other port and your drivers should promt you to ask what you plugged in. You say "microphone" and it works great.
Yup the software is installed properly. And I am plugged-in into the right port. I have figured out that the sound is extremely low on the mic. I did a short sound recording and played it back at very high volume. I heard the the recording. Maybe it's just a huge coincidence. The Mic I am using is attached to headphones and it has it's separate mute switch. Maybe it broke right at the same time. Anyway i am going to take the thing apart and see. If nothing is wrong I will try to install a Creative card I have and see if there is any difference.

By the way I have upgraded to Vista this morning.

I think it is your mircophone volume in vista you need to turn it up and use the mircophone boost go to start > control panel> hardware and sound > sound> recording > right click your mic > properties > level and raise the volume and mic boost hope this solves it ;)

I have turned it up to the MAX and it still is just a whisper of sound. No software can detect it.

It sounds to me like the mic jack my be faulty if you hear something that means the software is working and if you have turned the volume up max on your mic i cant see how it shouldnt work could be drives as mentioned above or bios settngs also go into your bios and search for setting like onboard audio and fiddle with some setting. It is a pickle :p

There seems to be people with this problem all over the net. They all have Realtek. I am one of those people. Mic and line in have been non functioning since I got my computer. I've tried everything.

Very funny.
I have since abandoned the card, I have been to several computer related forums and have noticed that there are a whole lot of people who are having issues with that exact card. I was able to get it going in Vista temporarly. Not sure what I did exactly (I was sort of hitting the keyboard by that time (still have one key missing)). it worked for awhile than quit. Than the whole Vista started to go berserk on me. So at about 6a.m. I really had enough and installed XP again. Tried to work the card, but gave up after another two hours and put in my good old trusty Soundblester Live! in.
The problem I think is that Realtek has made the control panel over complicated. There is a separate volume for each jack, then there is a volume just for the center speaker, subwoofer (which would already be plugged-in into one of those jacks), than there are volume controls for all the rear jacks in one and for all the front jacks in one. Than there are of course controls for the Wave and the master volume. So not only You have to figure out where Your jack is plugged in (they are apperantly interchangable) You also need to figure out which sound control to use, than You need to figure out whether the controls for the front are separated from the rear jacks. I think it was far easier to figure out E=MC2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back