Can't use VNC over LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

X DarthMonkey X

Okay, well color me stupid:

I can't figure this out at ALL. I have never worked with VNC, and now that I'm starting, I'm confused. Just plain confused.

Basically, all I want is to view my desktop from my PSP, even in the slightest. But forget about the PSP, it's not really part of the equation here; I already have the PSP VNC Viewer installed on the PSP, it works fine.

The VNC Server SEEMS to work fine, since I was able to use the viewer locally. Yes, i connected to "localhost:5900". Yes, it did wig out, but at least I confirmed that the server itself was at least running to some proper extent.

So next I went and installed a VNC Viewer on another PC in my LAN. Well, it didn't work. I can't tell you the specific error I got because I was too stupid to write it down and now I can't get to the PC. If you need the error number, I can give it to you tomorrow.

I have a hunch that it's my router's fault, or my fault for setting up my router wrong. So here's the setup:

-=Desktop1(Server): WinXP Pro, SP2, McAfee AV, Win Firewall disabled.
-=Desktop2(Viewer): WinXP Home, SP2, Mcafee AV, Win Firewall disabled
-=PSP(Viewer): PSP... yeah...
-=Router: D-Link DI-524

If you need any more information, just let me know.

Nevermind, I got it working. I had to fix a few settings in the router control panel. (Actually, I decided to go with random luck and change a few settings i wasn't sure about)

Anyway, the PSP VNC Viewer works like a charm! Even with my dual-monitor desktop config, it's working perfectly.

This is quite possibly the coolest thing I've ever done with my PC.

Instead of using VNC, why not use RDP. If your psp is capable. Might even be a little faster for you.

BTW RDP port is 3389

Thanks for the suggestion!

Unfortunately, I was never able to find an RDP client for my PSP, so I went for VNC. And now that it's working, I'm a happy camper! If only I could tweak the click settings though =\. Oh well, it works, so I'm not complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back