Caps latency? what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffguy

im going to buy RAM in about an horu or 2 and i have a slight problem.
I cant seem to decide on this one. There both the same price , same brand. But they have differemnt CAp latencys. I myself dont know what this is. the first one has a 2.5 CL and the second one has 3 CL. there both the same speed ( pc3200 ) and there both kignstons. which one should i get?

All that is, is the time it takes for the information from the processor to get to the memory and vice versa (in simple terms, it becomes in depth). Unless you're a heavy gamer, you needn't worry about this. Do you links to the memory your buying (if online)?

Let me tell you a bit about what latency is first. Careful, I can get lengthy.. :)

Memory latency is defined as the length of time between sending a request and receiving the response. Low-latency memory is more responsive than high-latency memory. You can determine a RAM module's latency values by a string of four numbers (also called timings) in its spec. It's enough to know that the four different numbers represent four different portions of the finding and retrieval process. For instance, a memory module spec'd at 4-4-4-12 would take less time to respond (would respond faster) than a module spec'd at 5-5-5-15. Make sense?

"CL" means "CAS Latency". The CAS Latency is the first number of the string of timings. This means a module spec'd at 4-4-4-12 would have a CL of 4.

You should get the one which has a CL of 2.5. Lower timings are better because (as explained above) they respond faster.

Hope I helped :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back