Carmageddon 2 lan problem/cant detect hosted games, please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kritonas

I've got a lan with 3 pcs, and i want to play lan carmageddon 2 on two of them. But i cant!
All pcs can see each other/share files and printers. All pcs have XP pro
I installed the ipx and netbeui protocols necessary for carma2 to connect for a lan game.
After lots of tinkering with ipx protocols settings and reading forums i managed to connect two of my pcs with dxdiag, thru IPX.
Oh yeah, and no firewalls are on. The only firewall is my modem/router's firewall which is only for internet traffic, not for the lan.
So i know that the protocol is configured ok, and my network works great!
hmm...

why the hell when one pc hosts a game, the other pc cant detect the game????
please help me if u have any suggestions, as i am out of ideas and i cant understand why it wont work!!!

is this the only game that you cannot play lan with? try loading up a different game and see if you can get the other two computers on your lan to join your game.

well i tried with other tcp/ip games, no other IPX games though. I'll see if i have any games that support IPX and i'll try. I thought that if dxdiag connects ok via IPX the protocol works fine..

You will need to have or install the following list...

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
Network Hubs or Routers (more than 4 link is recommended)
Microsoft DirectX 9.0b or later

Network Configuration:
--Client for Microsoft Networks
--File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
--Internet Protocol <TCP/IP>
--NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol
--NetBEUI Protocol

Also set up the networks by right-click on My Computer and select property: or Click on Start/Setting/Control Panel and double click on System.

Click on Network Identification and click on Network ID.

Make sure all of your 3 pc using same Domain name. When you run the Carmageddon 2, run it in IPX/TPX or Network game. [Or Peer to Peer TP]

Lucan

P.S. Oh by the way, please watch your languages, kritonas. Techspot Moderators will either edit or remove your post. Thanks.

Help me..

I got the same problem as kritona. :(

My system is Windows Xp pro on both computers , As for bushwhacker's advice as follow :

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 - One computer can't take SP2 however , everything's work , all lan games , ICS , Network places etc..

Network Hubs or Routers (more than 4 link is recommended) - i have 1 router who connects one of the computers via cable to a network adapter , Other comp is connect by phonline(PPNA).

Microsoft DirectX 9.0b or later(installed , All tests ran succesfully)

Network Configuration:
--Client for Microsoft Networks - OK
--File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks - OK
--Internet Protocol <TCP/IP> - OK
--NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol - OK
--NetBEUI Protocol - Can't find this one.

Also set up the networks by right-click on My Computer and select property: or Click on Start/Setting/Control Panel and double click on System.

Click on Network Identification and click on Network

Make sure all of your 3 pc using same Domain name. - OK

When you run the Carmageddon 2, run it in IPX/TPX or Network game. [Or Peer to Peer TP]

How can i choose IPX/TPX on Carmageddon 2? , I can only choose Network Game.

Additional info : Tryed runinng the game with 2 different version , Reg fix , Xp fix , Without all these , Original install , Nothing seemed to work out..

Got Zonealarm Firewall in both comp but i've enabled the execution file to be fully operated with the network(Recheked it many times).

Plz help , ill pay u for it.

Must make that game work on the network!

:(

I gave up Shadowrack, i simply cant understand why it wont work. everything seems to be in order, and i tried everything i found on the net.

From my experiance in computing , There's nothing that can't be fixed , Solved , Etc..

I belive the problem can be fixed , We only need to get more information and since the game is a very old one , There's no much interst..

However , Maybe the guy with the knowlege and the solution is right here in the forums..

I tried to post the same thread in EE but i've lost my e-mail address with 1000+ points and it's not free to open an account there anymore..

BTW , Did you try to connect the 2 computer trough direct cable without the router's negotiation and than check the game?

Solution IPX on Windows XP Carmageddon 2

Install IPX protocol with default values.
Then start regedit and go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NwlnkIpx\Parameters
Change DWORD value SocketUniqueness into 20 (hexadecimal)
Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NwlnkIpx\Parameters\Adapters\{your adapter}
Change DWORD value MaxPktSize into 10 (hexadecimal)

You have to do this on every computer you want to play hosted Carmageddon 2 games with.

We had the same problem. After spending a few hours on the problem I made a few guys here very happy. Hope it helps you

Eelko Neven

carma2 reg patch won't work. found c2o project, won't work either :(

Install IPX protocol with default values.
Then start regedit and go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NwlnkIpx\Parameters
Change DWORD value SocketUniqueness into 20 (hexadecimal)
Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NwlnkIpx\Parameters\Adapters\{your adapter}
Change DWORD value MaxPktSize into 10 (hexadecimal)

You have to do this on every computer you want to play hosted Carmageddon 2 games with.

Eelko Neven

Regedit trick did not do the job :( I tried on several Carma2 versions: simple, advanced, US/UK)..
Has this ever worked to anyone? I am using Ethernet P2P crossover cable.

Has anyone tried the c2o (Carmageddon 2 Online) project? I cannot use it because c2o_server writes "file hash was not found"..

Project seems to be dead for last months, but files can be downloaded and tried from (copy and paste links, because I am still a rookie here):
Code:
[U]cwaboard.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=88740&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1[/U]
Code:
[U]carma.jjunkies.com/c2o-overview[/U]

Anyone please reply on results; thanks huge!

--
sledge

We have tried it with several Carmageddon 2 installations and it worked on them. If you send me an export of your HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NwlnkIpx registry entries i can check if you did something wrong. It workes here on several Windows XP sp2 and sp3 machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back