Case Fan Holes -- Cover them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClaudineM

I have an Antec SLK600AMB that has 2 optional case fans, one inf the front, one in the back of the case. However, it didn't come with any covers in case I don't want to use the fans. Should I not use the system until I can get the fans or can I run it if I cover the holes up?

Thanks for your help (nothing on Antec-inc.com about this)

C

I'd add the fans myself, unless they are positioned in such a way to hinder airflow. You can run it without having to cover the holes. That isn't a problem but adding the fans will probably increase airflow. I'm not familiar with that particular case but since it is an Antec, I'd expect it to be set up for maximum airflow.

I've used that case in computers I've built for others and I put in three fans. I got fairly quiet 80mm? Antec fans for about $6-8 each. Front blows in, two in rear blow out. You could cover the second fan hole in the back and leave the front hole open for an air intake but you will have a much warmer case as a result.

Just wanted to thank the above users for your help with this. I ended up installing the 2 case fans...ClaudineM

No need to cover the holes up, then your case will be warm. With those two case fans you would want to have one in the back as exhaust and one in the front as intake. If you have two intake and no exhaust, you'll get positive air pressure, which causes bad airflow. With two exhausts, however, it will work fine, just slightly worse because there is no cold air coming in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back