Case Fan Placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdunka

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-144-073&depa=0

The link above is the case that I currently use for my system(with exception of the power supply. I currently run a 500W instead of the 350W that came with it).

As the temp has been rising outside, and I have to keep my system on top of my desk in fear that my cat will get hair in it. But that also means that I have to keep it somewhat close to the window, which the sun shines in through the day and it has been heating up in the past few weeks.

System specs:
CPU: P4/3.2CGHz 800M 478P/512K HT
MB: i875P IC7 ABIT ATX
Video: RADEON 9800PRO 256M 8X
HD: 160GB WD 7200 --- 60GB Maxtor 7200
CD/DVD: DVD+/-RW NEC --- Generic(Model unknown) DVD-ROM

Currently, I have the standard two fans built into the case going as well as a third fan installed in the front of the system for intake. So I've got an intake on the front, one of the left side, and the exhaust on the top. I used to have the one in the front out the back as exhaust, but it seemed that I got better circulation coming from the front as intake.

I've got the two bays on the back that are open and I was thinking of having the bottom bay as a 3rd intake and the bay above it as exhaust, but I am not sure what would be the best set up in this situation. I also have a 6th spot in the front, next to the 3rd fan, that I can use as well. Any ideas on what would be the best set up for this? I'm currently running case temp around 95F idle and between 105-110F during high usage, and CPU temp runs around 140F idle, 150-155F during usage. All of these temps are about 5-10F warmer than they have been in the past because of the heat outside. The temps seem okay still, but I would love to get this to run cooler.

I've been looking into water cooled systems as well, but I'm concerned about that whole "water in my computer" thing. Not only that, if I were go get one, I'd go high end and be spending about $600 on it. Would be adding a fan or two make this better, and if so, any suggestions on what to buy? I appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

If you can`t move the tower to a cooler location then maybe getting some blinds for the window in question would help a lot.

No matter how many case fans you employ, if your tower is in direct sunlight it`s going to get hot.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thank you for the welcome.

Blinds are already there, shading them the best way possible, but it just gets warmer over here. Because of the size of my desk(Large corner desk), this is the only place that my case can go, and the last thing that I want to do is have my cat rub against the side of it and have her fur go through the side fan. Her fur is every place else as it is... :)

Well id say to make sure airflow in ur case is good. Fronts for intake, rears for exhaust. Make sure other cards are as far away from the video card as possible so air flow can easily get around it to move heat away. You can replace the IDE(i think thats wat there called) cables with round ones so air can move easyier. What u want is a vacume effect, more air coming out than going in, so never have more intake fans than exhaust fans unless the exhaust fan CFM ratings are higher. Your strongest fan should be at the top exhaust port in ur case. You'll probably notice lower temps with one panel off but there would be no good air flow.

Ive got 7 80mm fans altogether in my case including the 2 inside the power supply. Without them temps can get really high for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back