Case Heat Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

cm1286

I have a P4 3.0Ht with an zalman heatsink and fan I have 2x 80mm fan one 120mm fan plus a 80mm pci fan yet my case is running at 36c what can i do about getting that lower one idea I had was a fan on the upper part of the case any ideas

what is the ambient room temp?

are all those fans configured as exhaust fans?

a fan on the top of the case is a good place because that's where the heat rises anyways.

if you have a side fan, then you should consider reversing it (make it an intake fan). this will blow cooler air towards the CPU fan which may help keep the CPU cooler.

Response to cody

Well my room get up to about 80F and the side and front 80mm are intake while the back is an exhaust

Yay um I put a 120 why b/c i am crazy like that it dropped my temps 2 or 3 degrees celsius deffientely worth the effort

I'm not used to Farenheit, so I can't tell whats the temperature difference.

Anyway, having the top fan as inhale/exhale doesn't matter, and in fact, I did this for my comp and found that I dropped 1C instead by having it as intake. But then again, I've got a huge 120mm fan as exhale (80cfm?), and another 120mm inhale (40cfm), 2x80mm inhales, to kinda balances the 120mm fan out.

Maybe its your case, what kind of case are you using? What do you have in there? Its not surprising that you got that kind of temps if you got 6 raptors, 2 X1900XTX SLI, and everything's overclocked. In a SFF case to top it off :D

And if there is no discernible problem, how did you measure the temp of the case? Did you physically touch it, and compare with another metal object in the same room? Software thermometers can project wrong temperatures (I've got -2C readings on air before).

Yay um I put a 120 why b/c i am crazy like that it dropped my temps 2 or 3 degrees celsius deffientely worth the effort
there's nothing crazy about it! I'm not sure if 2c was worth the effort as that is a negligable difference and is within the margin of error for whatever you are using to monitor your temps.

Instead of adding fans, you may want to consider changing placement and direction of existing fans.

you may also want to consider water cooling, when i water cooled my CPU, my case temps went down 12C, the CPU is the biggest heat producer and a standard air cooler just blows that heat around your case heating everything else up.

an air duct mod is another effective way to lower case temps, again by lowering the CPU temps, you lower the whole system temps with it. you can make an air duct out of any tube. a straight or tapered large platic cup works well. you need to cut a hole in the side of your case where the CPU is, then mount the cup (or other tube) so that the CPU HSF sucks cool air from outside the case instead of hot air from inside the case. you could also remove the fan from the CPU heatsink and mount an 80mm fan to the case where the duct is, this will theoretically "suck" the heat away from the heatsink instead of blowing onto it. I have never tried this myself, which is why it is "theory", but many Dell systems use an air duct system with a passive CPU heatsink and a case mounted 80mm fan.

In the end what matters is what's more important to you... noise level, cost, temps. personally noise level is the most important to me, I don't want my computer to sound like a jet turbine. I have 5 fans but they are all running on 7v to make them spin much slower, collectively they still move air and I can barely hear them :)

2C is worth the effort, given that there's not much effort in it anyway. Besides, getting a bigger fan is always better, it moves more air, and its quieter.

KingCody said:
you may also want to consider water cooling, when i water cooled my CPU, my case temps went down 12C, the CPU is the biggest heat producer and a standard air cooler just blows that heat around your case heating everything else up.

Thats why you get those 120mm fans to vent out that hot air :D

also, cm1286, are you running a Dell? Cos there was some random mention about it.... I found that Dells are crap because of the way they manage heat in the PC, besides, the case layout sux. You probably need to get your drill and make your own holes if you wanna improve your case's temps there.

CMH said:
2C is worth the effort
like I said earlier, 2c is negligable and is within the margin of error for whatever is being used to monitor temps. only an expensive high end temp probe will give accurate temp readings, everything else (especially software monitors) will not be accurate enough to properly display a 2c difference. and 2c will not make any noticeable change in performance or life expectancy.

The point of replacing an 80mm fan with a 120mm fan is to move the same amount of air with less noise (or move more air with the same noise level)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back