Case Speaker connection on Intel DG965?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a connection on the Intel DG965WH motherboard for the little case speaker? I can't find it. Also, my Nexus case does not have a +5V connector for the front panel header. Does anyone know the consequence of not hooking anything to the +5V pin of the front panel header?
Thanks. I'm having fun putting this together, but would be happier if there were no connectors without a wire to attach.

Yes there is a connection to the case speaker on the motherboard. The speaker uses 2 pins to connect to. Your motherboard manual should explain this.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg965wh/sb/CS-022978.htm

The speaker connection is listed as the "Audio Header" and can be found toward the back of the board, (toward the back of the computer when the board is installed). It is set toward the back, between, and at the left end of PCI slot 1 and PCI slot 2. Please see the digram in the PDF listed above.

I swear, it is not marked in the "Quick Reference" setup guide that came with the board, nor is it on the 5 page Intel Motherboard guide to connections and headers which I downloaded. Apparently, it is only in the 5.5 MB /91 page Technical Specifications document. Thanks.

Whoops! It's not there! I checked the Technical Specs, and you're right, it shows an audio header marked "CC." (I swear, CC is not marked in the "Quick Reference" setup guide that came with the board, nor is it on the 5 page Intel Motherboard guide to connections and headers which I downloaded. Apparently, it is only in the 5.5 MB /91 page Technical Specifications document). HOWEVER, Where the Technical Specs say the connector should be, I find a small black cylinder, about 3/8 inch in diameter and 3/8 inch high. There is a + sign marked on it, but absolutely no pins.
I give up.

I read through the manual from the link that Zippster kindly provided and found that the case speaker is actually built onto the motherboard. See the bottom of page 23. It's likely a small black, plastic, piezoelectric cylinder with a small hole in the top somewhere on the motherboard. The speaker headers that Zippster was referring to are for the case's front panel audio connections from the motherboard's onboard audio. So the case speaker that came with case will just have to sit unused.

Edit: Denny, you posted while I was reading and writing. It appears you found the "case" speaker on the motherboard.

So that's what that cylinder is! A piezoelectric speaker. May not do much good in my heavily insulated case. Thanks for the feedback. You have solved the mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back