Case wont get to a post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm in the process of updating my MOBO and Processor. I have bought a new powersupply to accompany it. I've got everything hooked up. Push the power button on the case, now all of a sudden:
- the LED light on the front of the case is 'Red' (use to be green).
-Along with this, the 2 cd drives dont power up, (no lights, tray-open buttons dont work).
-The HD starts to spin
- Heatsink for the powersupply turns on

Now, I have found that if I unplug the IDE cable from the MOBO (which is connecting the 2 cd drives, because the HD is SATA) the 2 cd drives are now working. I am able to open the treys.
-But, computer still doesnt get to the POST
-I have taken the processor out and tested, same thing
-I have taken the MOBO out of the case, same thing.
-I have taken the RAM out of the MOBO, same thing

So, I thought it was the MOBO. Called the place I bought it from, they sent me a brand new one. got everything hooked up, same thing.

It is a GEFORCE 6100-M9 MOBO, accompanied with a AMD 64 3700+.

Has anyone had this problem before? If so, I would really like some insight on what I could try next.

Hello and welcome to techspot.

Did you use the riser pins under the motherboard to separate it from your case?

Please list your parts in detail. Are you using the integrated graphics or a graphics card? What are the details of the ram you are using? What power supply do you have (watts and how many amps on the +12v rail).

More details please.

-yes, riser pins are being used
-integrated graphics
-PC 2700 (333mhz) (which the board said was compatible)
-350 Watt power supply, (I went to a website from another post to calculate power needed, suggested only about 230 Watts.)
- +12V(1) says 6.0A
- +12V(2) says 12.0A

Do you have your power supply connected to TWO places on the motherboard? Both the 20/24 pin connection as well as the ATX12v connector?

Are you trying with one or two sticks of ram? If two, try with just one to see if you can boot up. Do you have any other ram you can test in your system? No post is caused by ram 9 times out of 10.

Take a look at your CPU pins. Are any of them bent?

-yes, the power is plugged into both places
-I'm using only one stick of RAM. With the first MOBO I had, I tried with a combo of 2 sticks of RAM, and with single sticks of RAM, switching out the sticks of RAM to test them. I didnt try the other RAM stick yet, because it is in this desktop that is up and running. Shouldnt I at least be able to get some sort of beep, even if there is no RAM in there?
-Also, have you ever heard of the LED light changing, and cd drives not able to power up, unless they are not plugged into the MOBO?

mjmartin05 said:
-yes, the power is plugged into both places
-I'm using only one stick of RAM. With the first MOBO I had, I tried with a combo of 2 sticks of RAM, and with single sticks of RAM, switching out the sticks of RAM to test them. I didnt try the other RAM stick yet, because it is in this desktop that is up and running.

It is a possibility that the ram is simply not compatible with your board. Some boards are very picky about ram. At least you know the ram is not faulty.

mjmartin05 said:
Shouldnt I at least be able to get some sort of beep, even if there is no RAM in there?

Double check your speaker connections. Most boards will give you a beep code when the problem is ram, but you can't count on that. Even if you don't get a beep code, ram is still a high suspect here.

mjmartin05 said:
-Also, have you ever heard of the LED light changing, and cd drives not able to power up, unless they are not plugged into the MOBO?

Absolutely. Every motherboard (and every bios revision) works differently.

Another thing worth trying is resetting CMOS. Find the jumper pins if your board has them (read your manual) or remove the battery for a few minutes.

Also, don't rule out that you have a DOA power supply. Now that I mention it, this is also a high suspect here.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Since you replaced the mobo and confirmed it is not shorting on your case, and confirmed that your CPU is working (if resetting cmos doesn't work) it has to be either:

PSU is dead
Or your ram is not compatible.

Perhaps your bios doesn't like the 3700+ cpu. I know your system SHOULD be compatible with up to the 4000+ cpu, but that 3700+ cpu core is special (San Diego). Do you by chance have another 939 cpu lying around you can test in there just to rule this out? Long shot, but worth mentioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back