cat 6 cable use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conradguerrero

i know gigabit doesn't use Cat 6, they use Cat 5e. so is there any plans/standards for Cat 6 cable beyond ATM networks?

edit:
I found an excellent FAQ here.

Cat 6 cable is being installed in favour of Cat 5e.
The general difference between category 5e and category 6 is in the transmission performance, and extension of the available bandwidth from 100 MHz for category 5e to 200 MHz for category 6. This includes better insertion loss, near end crosstalk (NEXT), return loss, and equal level far end crosstalk (ELFEXT). These improvements provide a higher signal-to-noise ratio, allowing higher reliability for current applications and higher data rates for future applications.

and here is the rational for the install of cat 6
From a future proofing perspective, it is always better to install the best cabling available. This is because it is so difficult to replace cabling inside walls, in ducts under floors and other difficult places to access. The rationale is that cabling will last at least 10 years and will support at least four to five generations of equipment during that time. If future equipment running at much higher data rates requires better cabling, it will be very expensive to pull out category 5e cabling at a later time to install category 6 cabling. So why not do it for a premium of about 20 percent over category 5e on an installed basis?

I would like to thank Phant for his wonderful recommendation to use google to look for the info. My professor told me some outdated information that I thought was current and "duh" it was not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back