CAT5 Or Wireless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhh, My bedroom is approx 130 feet from the wireless router, And sometimes it dosnt connetc right away, I was wondering if i did switch to like a 150ft CAT 5 Ethranet cable would the connection be faster or slower then the wireless?

Wired is faster than WiFi AND there's no need for encryption either :)

A wired connection will be a lot faster. And, with typical junk home equipment, the wired connection will be a lot more stable than wireless as well.

It would be faster, but wouldn't you then have a 150 ft. cord running through your house? Is there any other place in the house that the router could be connected?

Also there are other things that can be considerd but pricey. there is a technology that allows all your powerlines in the house to be used as ethernet cords.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_Powerlink

Also there are wireless extenders that will allow your wireless connection to reach futher in the house. place it somewhere near the middle of your wireless router and computer and it will improve the connection.

Are you sure? Sounds dangerous

Roamex said:
Also there are other things that can be considerd but pricey. there is a technology that allows all your powerlines in the house to be used as ethernet cords.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_Powerlink

Also there are wireless extenders that will allow your wireless connection to reach futher in the house. place it somewhere near the middle of your wireless router and computer and it will improve the connection.

Where does it say "powerlines in the house to be used as ethernet cords" ?

He's referring to BPL, Broadband-over-powerline. Not Ethernet Powerlink.

However, BPL is normally centralized, and run by the power company or a close affiliate. There is little "router" involvement per se. If he were to take this route, he would face either the decision of redundantly holding onto his LAN, or terminating his standard broadband connection in favor of BPL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back