CD boot problem - faulty motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm having some trouble with my computer. I have Windows XP installed, but I wanna install Ubuntu and Vista (only because of DX10 of course). I've tried to boot from the Vista DVD, and it recognizes it as a bootable disc but after it asks "press any key to boot from disc" and I press a key, the screen just turns black. However, when I updated the firmware for my NEC ND-2500A drive, it does run the installation, but extremely slowly. Every step in the installation process takes 15 mins+ to load. The Ubuntu installation comes as far as the screen where you choose whether to install, verify the disc contents and so on. However clicking on any of these will load the kernel, but the screen will turn black after that.

So, it sounds like the problem was the DVD drive right? It's not though, because I just bought a SATA DVD drive today (the old one was IDE) which have the same problem. So, the problem is not the drive or the IDE/SATA channels. What do you think?

Could you please list which parts (model numbers processor type and speed etc, etc) comprise your computer or the make and model number if it's a Dell, HP, Gateway or such?

Cinders said:
Could you please list which parts (model numbers processor type and speed etc, etc) comprise your computer or the make and model number if it's a Dell, HP, Gateway or such?

Oh, sorry about that. I thought I forgot something. ;)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2,4 GHz
Motherboard: Abit IP-95
RAM: 2x DDR2 Corsair TWIN2X 1024MB (don't really know the speeds, and I dont have the computer here right now)
Graphics card: 8800GTS 640MB
Optical drives: NEC ND-2500A IDE, Samsung something something SATA
Harddrives: 80GB Samsung SATA, 250GB Seagate IDE, 250GB WD IDE, 500GB WD SATA
PSU: 560W. Can't remember the brand, but it was one of the better ones.

I guess the rest isn't that interesting in this case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back