CD Drive could not access

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 98 machine. I want to change to XP. I attached a cd drive it is found by bios & also shown in my computer. No problem so far.

the problem is as soon as i access the cd the computer restarts. I have tried to change the drive & cd also; so the problem is not with the drive.

I also tried with first boot device as cd drive with same results as soon as cd is accessed the computer restarts.

Any idea.

Thanks all.

Some more information about the computer would be handy. It could be that your PSU cannot deliver enough power or that the IDE controller is bad. Have you tried putting the CD-ROM on the primary IDE channel alongside the hard drive?

Thanks for reply.
Yes I tried putting the CD-ROM on the primary IDE channel alongside the hard drive; same results. Cable is correct it is working on all other pcs.

I think it is PSU as u said; becasue some times pc does not start on first attempt; or restarts at some point while starting; some times it takes 3 to 4 attempts to strat the pc. Please give your comment is it PSU problem or it could be Mother board.

Thanks again.

Also tell me how to check IDE controller ; formating drive will do or some thing else ?

The best (and often the only) way to test the faultiness of devices is by replacing them.
Of course you can't replace the IDE controller but you can disable the onboard one and try with a PCI ATA controller.

Before you do that, take a look at the sticky thread: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic377.html - it contains links to help you decide if your PSU is too weak for your hardware. And of course you can try replacing your PSU (temporarily) and see if the problem goes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back