CD/DVD burning problems freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please help I dont know what could be wrong here. I recently upgraded to an Athlon 64 x 2 4400 processor and after I got the new motherboard in and everything working I have stumbled across a horrible problem when burning CD's.

I couldnt seem to even read from my DVD drive.

When I try to burn CDs/DVDs using Nero the progress indicator will get to a certain percentage and then stop. When I try to cancel out the program is frozen and all I can do to get out is disconnect my power supply for the computer. I thought it may be the DVD burner as it was about 3 years old so I bought a new one.

Same problem except the DVD/CDs read now but wont burn.

I have tried other burning packages which dont seem to freeze but always result in an unreadable CD.

I detached the other DVD drive on the computer and upgraded the firmware for my new burner. Same problem.

Could it be the drive is not getting enough power? All I have on the comp is a firewire PCI card, PCI express video card, internal HD and floppy. the burner and a fan controller. I think the PSU is 350W.

I cant seem to find any problems that would make this happen!

Please help.

tried updating the motherboard drivers?
maybe it isnt getting enough juice can only be tested by purchasing a better and more powerfull psu..

there are other threads with similar problems to this (apart from windows freezing), but troubleshooting steps still apply.. so give them a read through, one of tehm may solve it.

Cheers, motherboard drivers are brand new, got the newest ones when I set it up.

Could it possibly be the IDE cable needs replaced?

that too can be a possibility..

for your psu conserns check it out here
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
but according to this calculator, you need at least 385watts of power, so round taht up to 400w minimum (headroom)

although i am just guessing your full system specs, so check over it for yourself..

usualy when one upgrades a motherboard or a video card, the psu (if its stock/not high watt rating) gets a change too... but see how it goes.

Thanks, Looks like this is the answer, although I need to get a special PSU because the case is rackmount. Now a quest to find one that fits...

Have you tried the X-Power 500w? I know its a cheap one but it's full of features..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back