CD/DVD-RW problem - PLEASE HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've recently been having a few problems with my dvd drive & am after some advice as to how I can get it fixed.....

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FS215S laptop with a Sony DVD RW DW-D56A.
Recently the drive has stopped reading cd-roms & audio cds but WILL still read DVDs & plays them fine.

I have followed some instructions found in another thread on this board which said the problem could be fixed by removing a couple of driver files (GEARASPIWDM & PXHELP20), uninstalling the drive & re-booting. I have done this & now have the following drivers on my system:
cdrom.sys
imapi.sys
redbook.sys
storprop.dll

I now have the problem that my laptop doesn't seem to want to reinstall the dvd drive. It's listed under the Device Manager with a yellow exclamation - I have tried updating the driver but the system cannot find anything.

I have also downloaded the original driver installation program from Sony but when I try to load/extract this it says that no supported drive can be detected.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can get my drive re-installed & working properly again?!?!

PLEASE HELP!!

Many thanks in advance!

Steve

Hi,

I have managed to get the drive recognised by the system/device manager now but am still having the same problem - it is not recognising any cd-rom or audio cd in the drive......

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Steve

Pretty sure that the drive itself will need to be replaced. If I am not mistaken, there are separate lasers that read the different formats. I could be wrong but I have a older model Compaq, that I jsut replaced the drive on that was doing the same thing you are describing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back