Cd not reading device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregorykay

Hi i have an hp pavillion 754n with the dvd writer 300n (it came with the system) Recently the drive stopped reading any cds or dvds put into it. I tried; re-installing driver, deleting device and on restart reinstalling, and updating firmware all to no avail. I would have thought it was a drive failure but suprisingly the drive lets me burn cd's and dvd's. Is there anything more I should try?? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

Have you tried cleaning the eye on the cd/dvd rom?

Try the disks on another system and see if they can be read. It only takes one scratch to make a CD non readable.

no i havent how would i do that? to add more info about my problem when i insert the cd it shows the little cd thing on my mouse but still when i go to explorer says that nothing is in cd tray

If you have a pc cleaning kit, non static cloth, canned air, swabbs etc, you should use the cloth, if not then use the swab. Wipe the whole drive and carefully clean the laser eye.

What does your device manager say when you look at the CDROM portion?

thanx 4 the help much appreciated, if anyone else comes up with any other idea it would be much appreciated otherwise im guess im gonna get a new cdrom drive

There is not much to troubleshoot with the cd/dvd roms

Drivers
firmware
device manager
ide cables
dirt

other then that I think its a poorly made product.

sorry. Your system is obviously not a laptop. just clean the tray and use a known good cd. Other then that I would swap out the old with a new one or a known good used one

After doing some research i found something that may help solve the issue i have found that sometimes after installing a certain burning program and restarting prematurely can cause a burner not to burn cds This was the Fix "
Now while CD Burner is running it inhibits Windows own CD Burning facilities. It does this by setting the Registry value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\NoCDBurning = 1
whatever it was before, usually 0. When it normally terminates it resets this value to what it was on entry. If however, CD Burner is killed prematurely, by rebooting say, it will leave the Registry in this state, thus inhibiting Windows own CD Burning facilities from then on. Thereafter CD Burner would always reset this value to what it was on entry, namely 1, even on a normal termination."

I installed a burner program a while ago and am not sure if this may have caused my problem of not being able to read cd's and dvd's only being able to write to them. I uninstalled the software but maybe the program could have edited the registry keys. So My question is is there a simular registry that can be affected when installing a program that would not enable me to read discs? If so where or what is this registry (not including deleting upper and lower filters i have already tried that).

Greg Kay

my DVD Device is not reading some DVD's, some DVD's and CD's works fine on it.. but with with some DVD's when i enter them in dvd rom it makes sounds and its light blinks but nothing happens after this.
when i try to open the DVD manualy it gives me Error message that " Disk might be currupted or its has the format that is not compatible with windows "
this DVD works fine on other DVD Devices. i used this DVD Device on another PC and there was same result. what problem is this please help me.
i have used lens cleaner but that did not help me at all.

i have matsu****a DVD device. where can i get its latest firmware and drivers

Thanks

my DVD Device is not reading some DVD's, some DVD's and CD's works fine on it.. but with with some DVD's when i enter them in dvd rom it makes sounds and its light blinks but nothing happens after this.
when i try to open the DVD manualy it gives me Error message that " Disk might be currupted or its has the format that is not compatible with windows "
this DVD works fine on other DVD Devices. i used this DVD Device on another PC and there was same result. what problem is this please help me.
i have used lens cleaner but that did not help me at all.

i have 'Matsu****a' DVD device. where can i get its latest firmware and drivers'

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back