Cd-rom Can't Read After Xp Upgrade (from Windows 2000)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aidsministrator

hello i can't find this kind of thread after minutes of searching so i post my problem.

I was upgrading my windows 2000 to XP days ago
Before upgrade (still win2000), CDROM = OK!
After upgrade (XP), CDROM = OK UNTIL...

When after I put my installer CD into the CD drive, I noticed my cursor with a BLINKING CD icon. After that, the CDROM drive cannot read the installer CD.
I've tried using other data CD but still cannot read. I've tried audio CD still can't.

What might be the problem? After WIN2000 > WINXP upgrade, My CDROM driver is not compatible with the XP system??

I'm so hoping and thankful for your solution

-----
Other info:
CDROM = Mitsumi CD-ROM FX4824T
Driver Version = 5.1.2535.0

Oh I forgot 1 thing, after I upgrade, the drive can read any CD but not after that blinking moment. This means that after upgrade, my CDROM can read CD and is OK.

I'm confused..

I don't quite understand? Do you mean the xp cd wouldn't read so you were unable to upgrade? Or do you mean that the upgrade worked and then the cd drive stopped working? I believe you mean the second one!!!

To get xp to work properly, the best way to do it is to get it to reformat your hard drive in ntfs and start from a blank hard drive. You will need to back up all the data you want to keep to do this tho.

WOW what a fast response! LOL thanx rik

hehex sorry maybe my english is so ridikulust. yeah i mean the second one BUT, i dont mean that the cd drive didn't stop working right after the upgrade. Just approximately 1 day after the upgrade, my CDROM drive can read any type of CD.

The problem (CDROM can't read) occurs after I noticed a blinking CD icon at the right of the cursor (blinking about 5 seconds). Then POOF!... CDROM cannot read.

There's no given error report, it just can't read. Even the LED light of my CDROM stops flashing!

Hope this reply is more understandable

i surfed and found information about the CDROM. It's an OLD device. even the latest driver version is just for win98.

but just like what i have repeated many times, after upgrade, the CDROM can read. This means the CDROM is compatible with XP even though it is old. am i right?

what do you mean by 'played up'?

Xp has general drivers for older cd rom drives and most do work fine.

Cd roms have a lot of moving parts in them as well as drive belts. I just wondered if perhaps it has given you problems in the past.

The laser on a cd rom moves along 2 rails to be able to access the entire read surface of a disk, the most common problem is wear in the runners which means that the laser wont align as accurately as it once did. This results in the drive becoming unreliable.

The best thing to do would be to replace it, if you want just a cd rom they are really cheap nowadays.

oh god i am actually a (not-so-expert) computer technician & how come i didn't think of replacing the CDROM? What a shame.. LOL

Yeah that's a great idea. CDROM doesn't cost much & i think i'm going to replace it with a good new one in a few days after.

Thank you so much for your time and solution Rik

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back