cd-rom devices listed under "unknown"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownPaper

i was looking through device manager today when i noticed that my two cd-rom devices are listed under "unknown" in device manager. both used to be listed under cd-rom (or whatever it is used to be). both of my cd drives still work. i just remember doing normal stuff like winamp, games, etc. it is pretty strange.

i have tried removing both drives from device manager (also from safe mode). uninstalled the drivers. physically reinstalled the drives again. only installed one drive or the other. tried a different ide slot. used a different ide cable. the latest drivers for both of my cd drives are from the windows xp cd. it is a minor annoyance but i'm running out of idea to make my cd drives more normal. please, does anyone know what's up with my computer?!!! :eek:

Partial specs
CD Drives
-Sony CRX300E
-Generic 20x10 CD-R/RW

OS
-Windows XP Pro SP1

rest of my specs are in my profile. thanks.

well i fixed my problem by finally deciding to repair my windows installation. it did the job and now my computer recognizes my drives as dvd and cd drives. it is strange how a computer can just bug out sometimes.

That's a tough one to fix sometimes.. And all of the times I've seen it, it hasn't been repairable by using a system repair.

There are some registry settings you can delete that usually fix the problem (or make it worse) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back