Cd-rom error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi sometimes when i install programs i will see an error in computer management in the event viewer saying that an error has been detected on a device/cdrom0 during a paging operation? Do I have to reinstall the program? It didnt come up with any errors does anyone no what this means? It is on a new cdrom and i have had the same thing happen with the old cdrom I had and it happens with different discs even some right out of the package like ut2k3 no real reason sometimes it happens sometimes it doesnt?

That is a good question, I haven't given it too much thought before, but I know that I have seen that before too. I don't think there is anything wrong with the program. If I were to wager a guess as to what the problem is, is just that when you are installing the program the cdrom drive is using all of its resources, and when windows tries to page it, it is in use. That would be my guess as to what those errors mean. I wouldn't worry about it though.

This is just me, others might disagree, because I don't really know.

Thanks Its nice to know that other people have seen it before. Does anyone else know what it means it is really bugging me.

another thing when it usually happens it sounds like the cd speeds up or it makes a quick zip sound or something. Not the best description but if it helps.

It is a sony 16x dvd drive I got the same error with another cdrom to though that one was a 12x hi-val dvd. It happens occasionally not all the time. As I said it is only in the computer management it doesnt come up with any errors when I install it finishes everything and says it installed ok or whatever. I just want to know what the error is, and weather I can trust it installed ok or if something is wrong? I run winxp pro.

I remember this one time, I was setting up a lab of 50 machines....

All had identical hardware....

Which included this crap samsung CD-ROM drive...

Which could read CDs...

If they had been pressed in a manufacturing plant....

And refused CD-RW totally....

It happens....

Change drive, that's my best advise....

HOWEVER..... I did overcome these kinds of problems once, with a yamaha CD-RW, by upgradring to a new frimware... its worth a shot....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back