CD- Rom icon

Status
Not open for further replies.
im new to the site and dont know if this is in the right forum so bare with me,

ive just put in a new CD-Rom and when it booted it said it found it and was ready to use.

the only trouble is that theres no icon in my computer folder theres my hard drive and my dvd rom and floppy but no new CD-Rom ive been in disk management and its there as drive F ive been in the bios and its picked up there as well ive even changed the drive letters for the dvd and the cd rom and nothing therews still no icon for me to browse the contents of discs ive goto go to computer managemnet to let me view the contents of a disc ant help ?????.

thanks Tony.

Did yuo make sure to set the jumper properly on the CD rom drive? if you have a DVD Rom allready installed it is probably set to master which means the CD rom should be set to slave. But you should check the jumper setting on the DVD rom to be sure what the setting is, then set the jumper on the cd rom accordingly.( this is assuming that your DVD Rom and CD Rom are on the same IDE cable)

thanx for answering but theyre not on the same cable the dvd rom is set as slave and cd-rom as master as its straight from the board

if the DVD rom is set to slave what is master? dont tell me you have hoolked and optical drive onto the same cable as your hard drive?

tell us a litle about your hardware spec's

yes i have got it on the same cable as my hdd is that a big no no

Pentium 4, 2.4 gig
msi 845e motherboard i think i know its msi
gig of ddr ram
nvidia 6600 graphics card

It is not a good idea to hook optical drives up with Hard drives. try moving the DVD rom to the same IDE cable as your CD. just make sure yuo have them jumperd properly one master and one slave.

it was like that before i moved it to the hdd cable and still nothing yesterday i tried putting in an extra hard drive to give me more space and i connected that to the hdd cable as slave and set the jumpers as well to slave that also came up in the device manager and the drive management but still no icon in my computer folder the funny thing is that i managed to get a shortcut to it on the desktop and when i right clicked it to look at the properties it came up with find target so i clicked it and it took me to my computer folder but hte drive icon is not there ? something funny there

are you certain that your hard drive is jumperd as master and not set up CS (cable select)?

is this a self built rig or a brand name one?

also have you tried a different IDE cable?

self built rig & the hdd was an old one i had lying around doesnt have cs on it.
that changing the cable still wont explain why theres no icon in my computer folder because the disc management picks it up and the bios its, in there .

i thinnk theres something wrong with the win xp operating software myself
its a copy but ive never had this prob before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back