Cd-roms not showing up in my computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, i know im new, and that i just signed up, but i was hoping that somebody could please help me out.

I had some viruses recently and did a few system restores and now when i open my computer there is no dvd-rom or cd-rom.

Ive gone to device manager and looked but it doesnt show up in there either. I just replugged both of them in and they still appear nowhere. they open and close and flash lights and even make all the noises and sounds of reading but no action on my computer. I am completely lost and have no idea what to do. Any advice is appreciated, please help me.

(custom built, amd processor, on the fritz, xp sp2)

what PC do you have? laptop or desktop? what operating system? How old is the PC? Whak brand (HP, compaq, dell...)

ok so i assume that you have 1-2 drives connected through ide cable. pull the cable out and check if all the wires are ok. If there is a little tear on the side that could screw up the hole think. also check if your power cables are ok and connected in firmly. if you have an extra ide cable that is new replace it instead of checking out the old one.

they have power. they open up and make all the noise of reading a cd, but my computer seems like it has no idea they are there

2 drives connected

open up the pc and try to check the cables as i have said... ide cable is the wide and thin and has about 40 wires all in line.

well as much as I would love to get my hands on you PC and try to figure out waht is wrong, icant because you do not live in parma. there are too many things that can be wrong and way to long to write it all out. best think for you would be to contact your tech friend. Sorry, but there are limited thinks I can do with typing...
-sorry

Go back to the device manager and open IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, right click the first entry (the controller), and select uninstall. Reboot, and Windows should find a new device and reinstall the drivers.

I found the problem after searching and looking around for hours last night. I guess iTunes makes a registry edit somewhere or adds some thing to do with the registry that made my drives 100% disappear and all you have to do is delete that entry, more info can be seen here on how to do it, this site saved my life http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1057386021

It worked wonders, thanks for all your help anyways : )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back