CD/RW, DVD Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

h_pavon

It's been a while since my last post, greetings to all TechSopt members and staff.....

I have an LG DVD & CD-RW combo drive, it worked perfectly until a couple of weeks ago..... I used to burn while doing many things at the same time (watching tv through a TV Tuner, listening to music, playing games, even encoding)..... but now if i'm burning or simply reading a cd the computer can not perform another task, and burning is so slow. It takes about 15 minutes to burn a cd-r at 48X speed.

What could be wrong?... I have the latest McAfee antivirus running, so the computer is practically virus free........ the combo drive performance is driving me nuts now, don't want to format my hard drive yet..... do any of you guys now what the problem could be......

I use Nero Ultra and CloneCD, but its problem isnt only while burning but while reading too......

My system is:
CPU AMD 2700XP
MoBo Abit NF7
Ram DDR 512mb 333
HD Western Digital 80Gb 7200
Creative Labs Audigy 2
Leadtek GeForce FX 5900
Leadtek Winfast Deluxe TV Tuner
LG DVD, CD-RW combo drive

Thanx in advance!!!!

sounds like the controller for the drive has been changed from DMA to PIO. Go to Device Manager and check the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller properties. If you are unsure what to look for, just tell us what the mode is for all that is listed there.

On a side note, I have noticed that Nero 6 Ultra seems to be somewhat more of a resource hog than previous versions, not to the extent you describe, but it does slow me down when doing other things, where 5.x barely made a dent in my multitasking.

Thanx for replying StormBringer, will try that when I get to my home computer.......

Hope that fixes my problem, if it doesn't I'll keep you posted!

StormBringer..... that is the issue.... the EIDE 2 preferences are set to PIO, but I try to change to dma and it only shows DMA if available but the transfer never changer from PIO to DMA..... and the problem remains....... is there a way to fully set it to DMA??? help on this one please......

if you set it to "DMA if available" and reboot, does it still stay set to PIO? If so, uninstall the controller from device manager and reboot(it will likely ask you to reboot a second time as well) That should fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back