Celeron 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
my celeron computer is going bad.

It seems awfully slow.

ok here it is. I am running win ME (all updated etc) Celeron 4 1.6 (although it says on some places 1.7 and 1.8). 256 DDR ram. radeon 8500 64ddr.40 GB hd(seagate i think 7200 rpm i think also)(all with the latest patches. dx 9)

My computer seems awfully slow.
Some of my gmaes run faster and smoother on my old hp 366.

And my friend who has a 1.8 GHZ Pentium 4 (same ram but with a geforce 400mx and with win XP no updated drvers) can run 300% bots on battlefield 1942 with 25 percent of cpu on bot ai. Graphics options are all lower. He leaves all his background progs running aswell (he will get an av of 20 FPS).

Then i run bf 1942. close all my background progs, set graphics to low excpet for sight distance which is set at 80%. I set bots to 150% ad cpu time to 20% and i get lots of slowdowns and the game will run at about 14 fps.

What can i do to make my games esp battlefield run properly.

Its not just my games but the whole computer seems slow.

The Celeron is incredibly slow compared to almost any other modern CPU ( Pentium 4, Athlon64, AthlonXP & even Duron ).

You won't be able to squeeze much more out of it, unless you feel confident enough in your skills to overclock it a little ( look up as much info as possible on overclocking before attempting it yourself ).

PS. Welcome to TechSpot. Hope you enjoy your stay.:wave:

sounds to me like bad software. Check to make sure you don't have a truckload of spyware or malware lurking in the background, and check to updated drivers to your motherboard chipset and video card.

i have tried other games aswell now (rise of nations, ut 2003)

ut2003 runs ok on my comp
Rise of nations runns laggy when alot of stuff is moving around.

All runs ok on his comp

download ad aware 6 from www.lavasoft.de. that will remove any spyware that could be slowing you down. try getting the new catalyst drivers for your card, that may improve the performance a little, and maybe the latest chipset drivers would help.

XP is a memory Hog; I recommend using 512 Megs of RAM.

What kind of video card are you using? Nvida 5200's suck wind.

Are you using a 5400rpm hard drive or a 7200rpm hard drive? Should be at least a 7200 rpm hard drive.

The Celeron Processor is not that good for Playing games due to the cache size of 128k, compared to 512k for a P4.

I have also seen sound cards cause the system to crash. Sometimes a better driver helps.

Ok, here is what I need to help you out:
[NOTE:] If you need info on how to find this info, let me know and I'll post a step by step or a link to help out.
1) Model number of the Seagate
2) Type, speed, and Case Latency of the RAM
3) Motherboard model, manufacturer
4) Video card (specific model number if possible or memory bandwidth)

The above devices are the heart and soul for speed on your system (including processor and OS). If you are unfamiliar with finding this information on the devices themselves, you can download a utility like AIDA32 from the link below to help you retreive it.

http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php

Are their any IRQ conflicts? Are you running the latest BF1942 patches? How many bots are you running

I run BF1942 and know that it requires 512MB ram to run bots and play at the same time. I would recommend more. The processor is underpowered to run bots, but it can handle it.

With more information, we can help you out.
Bug

I think its mainly your memory(or lack thereof). 256mb isnt enough to be running many bots....Also that Celeron really needs to be replaced by a P4 or something....

First you need a capable motherboard. It needs to have fsb and ram adjustment options, and a pci/agp lock(asynchronous). If it does have those you can oc by increasing the fsb in small increments and testing with prime95 torture test for stability. If you don't have a pci/agp lock, it can fry your cards, and corrupt your hard drive. Also you may need faster ram depending on your cpu's fsb, and what ram you have.

vnf4ultra said:
First you need a capable motherboard. It needs to have fsb and ram adjustment options, and a pci/agp lock(asynchronous). If it does have those you can oc by increasing the fsb in small increments and testing with prime95 torture test for stability. If you don't have a pci/agp lock, it can fry your cards, and corrupt your hard drive. Also you may need faster ram depending on your cpu's fsb, and what ram you have.
Can i set ram and fsb whit the bios?

Can we please stop bumping threads that are over a year old?

It's becoming all too common.

get rid of ME

Get rid of ME and do a fresh install of Windows 98SE unless you have XP SP1. Before installing 98SE, be sure to download the necessary driver software for your motherboard from the internet if you do not have the cd that came with the motherboard. Also download the driver software for the video card and audio (if they are not integrated into the motherboard). 98SE is much faster than ME. Then use notepad to edit c:\config.sys in 98SE and add the following lines:

DEVICEHIGH=c:\windows\himem.sys
DEVICEHIGH=c:\windows\emm386.exe ON MIN=32767
DEVICEHIGH=c:\windows\ramdrive.sys 32767 /E

but check to see that these files are in the windows folder first. If you have low memory (<128mb) then replace 32767 with a smaller number, such as 16384. These lines create a virtual ramdrive and will make your performance improve dramatically (it worked for me on 3 old computers, making them useful again). Good luck.

no need for new pc

You don't need to build a new pc. The celeron is not a great cpu but it is good enough for someone like me (who does not play games).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back