Celeron Overclocked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy

AMDIsTheBest010 said:
hi all-

I have a 2.8GHz celeron D 335 and I was wondering how far I can overclock it until I melt the CPU

thanks
Intresting choice of nick.....hmmmm, I'll bet you pop an AMD before the celly goes.

Un-fortunately for me I have not worked with celeron D 335. You should be able to bump it some.
Let us know....
G'Luck

I don't think that you could melt it even if you tried. You could easily fry the processor by overvolting it, but it would not melt.

modern mobos have thermal protection which will shut the system down before the processor even comes close to melting.

So I think your question is... how high can i overclock before frying the CPU

...but nobody can really answer that because every CPU is unique. there is no general limit. it will have to be able to handle extra voltage to achieve a significant overclock, and each CPU will have a different voltage tolerance before frying.

Also, you will need better cooling than the stock air cooler. the high temps will limit your overclock.

last but not least, there can be 2 measures of your overclock limit: 1.)the maximum clock speed achieved while still being able to boot up. 2.)the maximum clock speed achieved and running windows stable.

you will likely find that you can overclock a high amount, but will have to back it down quite a bit to keep the system stable.

Use CPU-Z to check if your processor core is Northwood... if it is, there is a good chance you will be able to get a stable overclock becuase Northwoods are good overclockers and they run cool. You should be able to get at least 3.4 ghz out of it but there is no way to be sure because every CPU is different.

Heres the link for CPU-Z: www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Well it just so happens I got a 2.6 northwood celly.
400mhz stock. Currently it's in an emachine whose boards don't even have agp.
At least is 478 pin. Maybe I should try cooking it!
I have matching ram for it 512 pc 3200 which should be 400mhz.
I'm not sure if any boards will support this but looking.
We'll see soon...

lol... i don't think it would buying a new mobo to simply fry a celeron...

but if you've got the money and the time.. then go for it :)

Celeron D's have the Prescott core. It will run alot hotter, but wil be a better performer.

I've got a couple AOpen 400/533 boards. I decided to build the systems and sale them rather than cook'in 'em.

Hello:

I have a celly and there is no way to overclock it :)

AMD's are the things to overclock, so dont even try on a celly.

One question: Why do you want to overclock your processor? or fry it?

Should be good. Be sure to cool it down.
I'm running Intel P 4 2.8c 800fsb @ 3.4 36°idle 46°load, now for almost 3 months.

Oh.

Well it's been that i've been in the bios on my computer, and I saw for no oc option for my processor

sw123 said:
Oh.

Well it's been that i've been in the bios on my computer, and I saw for no oc option for my processor
That may be a limitation of your MoBo.
What MoBo? via chipset?
I have a lot of extra stuff laying around and thought for a brief moment "to see if I could fry one" but then decided not to.

as far as I know, no Intel mobos allow for overclocking.

and for obvious reasons, Intel will not make money if you overclock a CPU... in fact they would lose money because you would essentially be getting a "free processor upgrade" instead of buying a new processor.

Via chipsets, all makes, have no pci/agp lock which should be 33/66.
Most intel chipset "non-intel made MoBo's" do have pci/agp lock.
The best OC'ers I've used are Gigabyte, Asus & Abit..all intel chipsets.
It's amazing how many board makers have some form of intel in it.

I OC cause I have stuff laying around with fresh stuff comming in.
A good portion of builds I do are gammimg boxes, it helps my customer to
know, I know what I'm doing,,,,,,,even if I don't, I have TS to come to, to make sure I do. :haha:

I would say that would work...but I wouldnt recommend overclocking ever

To OC, you need to have a good PSU and a strong CPU, also excellent cooling. If you want to OC, you better have a good reason. If you have a 1.6 GHz processor and a game that requires at least 2.0 GHz, I would OC the CPU, depending on cooling and PSU.

sw123 said:
I would say that would work...but I wouldnt recommend overclocking ever

To OC, you need to have a good PSU and a strong CPU, also excellent cooling. If you want to OC, you better have a good reason. If you have a 1.6 GHz processor and a game that requires at least 2.0 GHz, I would OC the CPU, depending on cooling and PSU.

1. why are you digging up an old thread??

2. you overclock to sqeeze the extra juice out of something, not to bring your PC up to specs.

If a game requires at least 2.0ghz, it doesn't mean you can play it on a 2.0ghz. It just means you can run it. If you get what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back