Celeron Thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatman05

Celeron Thought!

Why is a Celeron processor so horrible performance-wise? Also, what type of Pentium 4 can I get for my Celeron 2.5ghZ board?

For one, it has smaller on chip memory cache. As for upgrading, what is the model of the motherboard?

im with nick. we'd need a model number on the motherboard and a socket type to be able to tell you what your machine would support.

a celeron is a super budget processor designed for office applications and low end computers.

To that thought...Guys, I did fill out my profile. Check under COmp #1. I do believe that the socket is 478, right?

Another THought

Hey guys, sorry for wasting space. Ummm, I have a thought:

Would a game on this CPU, memory, and graphics card run faster at 800x600, or 1024x768?

Intel Celeron Northwood-128 2.5gHZ Cpu
640MB PC2100 Memory split into: 512MB Kingston ValueRam and 128MB Samsung Ram (128MB came with comp)
Intel i845G onboard video card /w 8MB BIOS & 64MB Windows VRAM

THoughts would be appreciated. LET ME HAVE IT!!!

A Third THought

Again, sorry for wasting space. In Everest, on my Celeron CPU It says this:

*Copied from everest report

[ Processors / Intel(R) Celeron(R) Processor ]

Processor Properties:
Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
Version: Intel(R) Celeron(R) Processor
External Clock: 100 MHz
Maximum Clock: 3200 MHz
Current Clock: 2500 MHz
Type: Central Processor
Voltage: 1.5 V
Upgrade: ZIF
Socket Designation: PGA 478

[ Caches / L1 Cache ]

Cache Properties:
Type: Internal
Operational Mode: Write-Back
Maximum Size: 32 KB
Installed Size: 8 KB
Supported SRAM Type: Pipeline Burst
Current SRAM Type: Pipeline Burst
Socket Designation: L1 Cache

[ Caches / L2 Cache ]

Cache Properties:
Type: Internal
Operational Mode: Write-Back
Maximum Size: 1024 KB
Installed Size: 128 KB
Supported SRAM Type: Pipeline Burst
Current SRAM Type: Pipeline Burst
Socket Designation: L2 Cache

Now, Why does that there above screen say that this Celeron processor supports 1MB L2 cache, yet only has 128KB installed? I ain't never heard of being able to upgrade L2 cache on no processor.

Based on your profile, you should tell Grandma to kick down the gaming system with 1.5 gig and give her the Celeron. :D hehe

That Asus motherboard you have has two problems:
1) It's only 400mhz FSB
2) It only has single-channel PC-2100 memory support.

This severely limits not only the P4's you can install, but also assures it will cripple them with poor memory bandwidth and performance.

You can still get a measurable improvement in performance, but you wont be able to enjoy the full potential of a P4 upgrade on that mainboard.

My best suggestion would be to:
1) Pick up 2x512 of the LOWEST latency PC-2100 ddr memory you can find.
2) Find a Northwood P4-2.4/400mhz Socket 478 processor.

Finding 400mhz P4's will not be easy so you'll likely have to go to lower-end sources (check www.pricewatch.com. You can also go to a P4-2.8 ghz, but realize due to the memory bus on that mainboard, there will be very little gain between the 2.4 and 2.8. Still, if you can find a Northwood 2.8/400 for like $5-$10 more, go for it.. else it's not worth a big price difference.

On memories- you can expect best performance if you can find some CAS2 DDR memories. These will squeek the most from the already crippled 400mhz, single channel bus. I'd recommend google/download cpu-z and run it. This will allow you to see your installed memory. If you can screenshot/post your CPU-Z tabs here, it would help. Otherwise, you can also use it's register dump to a file and cut/paste it in a post here.

The die for a celeron Is the same as the P4 which supports 1mb L2 cache but the celeron is produced with only 128kb. so the die could have supported more cache had it been installed in the factory. and no you can't upgrade cache on a processer after it has been produced.

a game will always run faster at lower resolution sence there are less pixles for the system to draw.Unless it's an old game I would recomend 800x600 due to the low performance CPU which is made worse by the fact that your system lacks a deticated video card so your processer must also take on the duity of it.

i recomend running at at low-medium settings, since your cpu is a huge bottleneck. Should run OK though - RAM is reasonable although, the onboard graphics are shocking (no offence)

Good luck anyways,

Regards,

Korrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back